1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji-curious

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by cerebros, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

So we conclude that serious photographers own loads of cameras because they serve a purpose and they need them. The rabble own loads because they're a bit dim.

2. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Not quite quickly enough, apparently.

3. cerebros

cerebros Member

Right, as my laptop appears to be co-operating for five minutes here goes.

I’m going to avoid getting into a debate over what the 5d Mk II can or can’t do that’s making me look at different models (or indeed makes & models) of camera - I know that those of you who asked that only have the best intentions in asking my reasons but this is something I’ve already mulled over for a few months before coming to the decision to look at what Fuji has to offer. I posted here to get some advice about which option might help me decide which camera out of two prospects is a good starting point for deciding if the Fuji system is something I want to put my money into long terms, whether that’s as well as or instead of my current 5d Mk II gear and things already seem to be going quite off track in the time between posting my question and being able to sit down and type a response.

To be honest I’m not sure whether I’ll get on with a rangefinder or not, which is one of the reasons (other than price) that I’m considering the X-Pro 1 as I don’t want to dismiss the rangefinder option out of hand having had no real experience of using them previously.

Thankfully I’ve managed so far to put off everyone who’s ever asked me in advance to shoot a wedding for them, I’ve even got the wife trained verbatim on a disclaimer for whenever one of her friends who’s getting married on a tight budget enquires if I could take photos for them*, so I’m unlikely to add to the “hoo hah” about this

* I’m just glad people seem to do most of their computing on phones or tablets these days or else I’d probably be having to fend off requests for IT support as well...

I have to admit that I don’t think I’ve ever had prints made of A3 size or higher (whether from film or digital); the majority of prints I have made are 6x4 so I suspect even the 16MP Fuji’s will have enough IQ for 99% of my shooting and post-processing needs.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^You don't really need to be concerned about Fuji where IQ is concerned. The wedding thing is clearly not an issue either, I took mine with me as a guest, primarily because I don't have a short zoom for my Nikon. I found the Fuji was far from ideal and used a 50mm lens on the Nikon (FX) which was fine, but I could have done with something wider, which the Fuji would have covered, it ended up in the bag quickly as it was evident that it was not bringing home the bacon.

You might find the sight of the lens through the optical finder of an X-Pro 1 slightly disconcerting when using the optical finder, I was used to it, it is the nearest digital camera to my loved Contax G1, after buying mine I added a used X-E 1 from Ebay as a spare or back-up. They are slower in operation than a DSLR, I certainly wouldn't use one for sport work, my main gripe is that it is easy to knock the exposure compensation dial onto another value when putting the camera into or removing it from a bag.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

" I have to admit that I don’t think I’ve ever had prints made of A3 size or higher (whether from film or digital); the majority of prints I have made are 6x4 so I suspect even the 16MP Fuji’s will have enough IQ for 99% of my shooting and post-processing needs."

The mind boggles.

Incidentally the Leica M9 is a rangefinder camera, the Fuji is an auto focus camera with an add on use it if you like facility.

6. cerebros

cerebros Member

Well for those of you who are interested I finally decided to stop deliberating and bought an X-Pro 1 and the 18-135mm.

Planning to use it as my main "out and about" camera when I'm sure I won't need either my wide-angle zoon or macro lens for the remainder of the year (unless I find out pretty early on that I can't get on with it)

I am actually pondering whether I should also get myself one of the 35mm lenses seeing as I rediscovered my 50mm lens for my EOS last year and have been using that quite a bit. (Although when I say "rediscovered" I actually mean found it in my camera backpack and wondered why I'd still got it, as I thought it broke quite a few years ago while on a trip to the Eden project, only to discover that in actual fact it seems to be working fine judging by what I've shot with it). Although as I've ended up raiding my rainy day savings to pay for the XPro1 and upset my other spending plans for the year that may have to wait

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I do have a 35mm for my Fuji, I usually just carry the 18-55 in reality, I only normally take the 35 when I think I might need the speed.

8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I have more then enough primes, along the way got rid of the 18-55mm zoom , now regretting it. Think the 14mm and the three Fujicrons plus the x100T should cover all my needs which means my 56mm F1.2 will be surplus, or could go towards the X100F.

9. cerebros

cerebros Member

Ok, case of best laid plans etc. I just couldn't quite get on with the XPro 1 and have ended up getting an X-T1 1 instead which I'm finding suits me and what I'm shooting a whole lot better. Much to my surprise, despite the X-T1 being that bit smaller than the XPro 1, I'm finding the X-T1 much better to grip in the hand, and I don't seem to be constantly pressing the Q button by mistake either, which helps.

Now I just need to get used to keeping more of an eye on my battery level and get a spare to take with me for when I go on holiday

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes. I bought a second battery very shortly after getting my X-E2 and have had to use it several times. I power the camera off after almost every shot now.

11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

One thing I like about the X-T1 is that if you fit the battery grip, it uses the battery in the grip fully before moving onto the one in the camera and shows charge remaining for both.

Sadly, even with the grip fitted, I still found it too small for my great, bear-like paws.

Cheers, Jeff

12. cerebros

cerebros Member

Yeah, that's a habit I'm going to have to get into - not helped by the fact that I'm still using my 5D Mk II so I'm going to be switching between them and having to remember to turn off with the X-T1

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You will get used to it! The other thing is that they really do go to sleep. They are not always ready to go. The power up from "off" is faster than power off from "sleep" which can catch you out if you are used to a 5D which is always ready to use.

14. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

jchrisc....One never knows what to say in these circumstances! I am getting old myself but reasonably fit and sometimes I wonder why I struggle to carry 1 heavy DSLR with a 28-300mm attached, yes that's heavy, I have often thought about changing and believe its the best thing to do if you are struggling with health problems. In the meantime my best two pictures ever were taken in the back garden! My very best wishes to you and I do hope your problems don't get any worse......

15. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm actually going through a good patch at the moment. I'm on the seventh cycle of the fourth chemo regime that I have followed and the bad stuff in my marrow has been reduced to an almost unmeasurably low level.

The haematologist has been manipulating the chemo doses and in particular, reducing dramatically the amount of steroids that I've been taking. There has been an immediate effect and some of my lost strength has returned (though I'm still very weak). I spent the whole day in the garden yesterday doing physical work (but slowly) and I'm eating and sleeping well.

I have my 85th birthday next Sunday and I must say that I continue to be impressed by the way in which the haematologist, the cardiologist , the neurologist, the oncology nurses and the staff of the anti-coagulation clinic work together and give me the very best of attention.

It also helps that I have a wonderful wife who never complains and works so hard to look after me.

spinno and Terrywoodenpic like this.
  16. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Although you maybe feeling better don't over do it in the garden! just get yourself a nice easy chair and sit in the fresh air and sunshine........Best Wishes.