1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji-curious

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by cerebros, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time Canon shooter, jack of all trades, master of none, mainly taking family holiday snapshots, photos of days out etc (as that's pretty much all I get the time for these days). Due to some personal circumstances in the last year or so I've started taking more of an interest in my photography as interest in some of my other hobbies has waned, and this has led me to looking at adding to and updating my camera gear and plugging gaps in what lenses I want to own.

Unfortunately, that's where reality has set in. Having bought my current 5d Mk II at a time when I was earning quite a bit more than I am at the moment, looking round at the current prices of the newer models in the line there's not a cat in hell's chance of me being able to buy new any time soon and even second hand Mk IIIs seem to be going for more than I'd be willing to part with right now.

So, that's left me looking at alternative systems and hence why I'm here in the Fuji forum. At the moment I'm contemplating getting a second hand body and lens (looking at the 18-135 as that should cover a lot of my shooting needs) later in the year to give the system a try out, so I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping the frequenters of this forum can help me with while I do my research.

For the bodies I'm considering the X-Pro 1 and the X-T1, probably leaning more towards the X-Pro 1 due to the price the bodies have come down to now. The main reason I'm looking at these two models is the size of the bodies as one of the things I am concerned about with shifting to the Fuji system is that the physical size and design of the 5d Mk II is pretty much spot on for my hands , whereas I briefly picked up an X-T10 in Jessops the other week and found it a little bit on the small side.

I know the X-Pro 1 is getting on a bit now but I'm also aware that Fuji have released a number of firmware updates for all their cameras, so I'm just wondering whether a second hand X-Pro 1 will enable me to see what the X series has to offer or if I'm more likely going to end up finding it putting me off the system, especially given that it has the hybrid viewfinder that is only on the Pro models which I guess might be an acquired taste. Obviously pretty much all the reviews I come across are from around the time the X-Pro 1 was initially launched, so the views are of the camera's performance then, not don't take into account how the camera performs with its latest firmware.

The other thing I'm a bit wary about is processing the RAW files. From the reading I've done I'm aware that there were issues with Lightroom not producing brilliant results with the Fuji RAW files way back when support for the Xtrans cameras was first added, but has this situation improved now or would I likely find myself needing to invest in another RAW converter program to get the best out of the files?

thanks in advance for your advice.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Depends if you want a rangefinder or central viewfinder. I have an XE-2 which is pretty much a rangefinder version of the XT-1 and it functions well as a carry around when my Canon gear is not so convenient. There is no problem with Lightroom that I have found in versions going back 2 years. I think XT-1 used prices are a bit high at the moment, the Christmas offers were for new stock at the £550 body only mark. I think there were 9 used bodies for sale on our high-street asking around that. If you get an XT1 check the firmware is uptodate and all works. There was a quirk with the XE-2 that some models lost usb connectivity with firmware 4 which brought it in line with the XT-1.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

What CAN'T you do with your current camera, i.e. why do you want a new one?

Cheers,

R.

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have to ask the same thing. While I was still relatively flush for money I decided that I needed a second body. At the time I owned your camera, the 5D Mk II. I looked for a second hand body but at that point couldn't find one in the condition I wanted at a price I wanted. Eventually I got a great deal on a second hand 5D Mk III. There are a couple of differences in the way they work but now I have two bodies so I can put a different lens on each and cover all bases when I'm out and about, without having to change lenses in the field. Anyway, my point is, there's really nothing wrong with your current camera. A switch to fuji isn't going to give you better phtoographs until you get better. A switch to Fuji isn't going to allow you to make use of your existing canon lenses. As you've already intimated that money isn't 'no object', I don't understand why you wouldn't stick with what you have. You already know that the canon RAW files are okay. I don't understand the need to switch or upgrade or any of this unless it's a dose of GAS. For the record, I also own a couple of Fuji cameras and won't hear a word against them...this isn't an anti-Fuji rant, just trying to understand what it is that's motivating you to move from what you have when, given the kind of photography you've described, what you have is more than you'll ever need!

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The real advantage that the Fuji (or other CSC cameras) has is that of lighter weight and compactness, given that you already have capable gear. Quite a few on here use a CSC of whatever make as a second system for those times when they don't want to tote heavy or bulky equipment.

The IQ of the Fuji CSCs is better than you might expect, the JPEGs in particular have been very well set up and performs automatic correction for lens characteristics. The hybrid viewfinder of the X-Pro 1 works well enough, but does not function as a rangefinder type of view above 60mm focal length, from there on it is an LCD type with the characteristics these possess, so you can cope with them, or you can't. The switching between them is not automatic, by flicking a small electronic lever. The Fuji lenses are generally excellent performers but focusing is not as fast as a modern DSLR, the IS on the zooms is a boon. For the type of photography you describe a CSC will do the job and you are probably more likely to carry it with you when you would leave the Canon behind.

If you can live with electronic viewfinders you might consider a used X-E1, lower in price than the X-Pro 1 (on which the finder is LCD anyway above 60mm). Lenswise I can't speak for the 18-135mm, but the 18-55 f2.8-4 is excellent, far better than the kit lenses sold with mainstream DSLR cameras, both in performance and build terms, more in line with the much heavier and bulkier f2.8 standard zooms.

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I think it's quite okay to want another camera even if you don't really need one. It's just another toy - and what's wrong with that?

I had hundreds of cameras at one time and I know at least two people on this forum also have a great many. ;)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  7. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I bought a Fuji Xpro1 a couple of years ago from Ebay. It was a bargain price (about a fifth of its original price) and has served me well since. I also have a Nikon D800 and lenses, but bought the Fuji as now, carrying the Nikon around with, say the 24-70mm lens, can be somewhat tiring, whereas the Fuji is both light and, equally importantly, very discreet, especially for street photography purposes. I've added three lenses: 60mm f2.4, 23mm f1.4 and the 14mm f2.8 - again all from Ebay at much lower prices than original, and all in excellent condition. Would I recommend the Xpro1 - yes, indeed, but I would advise you to keep hold of your Canon gear which will deliver a higher quality image as and when necessary.

8. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I agree with Roger P. If we're honest, most of us would have to admit that we don't need many of the cameras we have and we buy them for the buzz of ownership. That's all. Most togs are first and foremeost gear-heads and so what?

The Fuji is a nice camera to own. It's different. It's light. It's fun to use. Why not if you can afford it? It isn't going to be as versatile as your Canon although as has been said it's lighter and perhaps more fun. Keep the Canon though. The Fuji isn't as good IQ and won't do stuff your Canon will.

I know there's a lot of hoo hah at the moment about weddings shot on Fujis but I reckon this is a marketing thing for particular togs ( who often produce pretty mediocre results IMHO ) and not to be encouraged ;)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The IQ of these Fujis is good enough to produce A3 prints from large JPEGs at iso settings well up from the base level. This is as much or more than most people require.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think there have been 3 steps in the X series;
    1st X-PRO1, X-E1 + others
    2nd X-T1, X-E2 + others
    3rd X-PRO2, X-T2

I have only experienced second stage and the results using are very good and generally compare well with my Canons for general subjects.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Seemingly the differences between the first and second generation are only slight, I did read a couple of reports that concluded that the X-E1 was actually better than it's replacement in tonality and colour reproduction. The latest 24mp incarnations are presumed superior, but clearly the sensor is more populated. The cameras I have used are from the first generation and I have no intention of expensively upgrading them for a marginal improvement, they are able to do what I wish them to, they do have the latest firmware versions.

They do compare well with the output from full-frame DSLRs, it shows what can be done with well set up processing and lenses designed totally for what they are doing. I have on a few occasions used an X-E1 where I would not consider it the ideal and it has delivered. Where I found it hopeless was at a badly lit wedding venue, after a few shots it ended up in the bag and I used a Nikon D610 which was fine.

12. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I have an X Pro 1 and an XT-1. I also have a Canon 5d mk2 and and a 5D mk 3. The Fujis are good but I do find that quality is definitely not as good as either of my 5Ds.

I also find them less useful for wedding type stuff. I find higher ISO performance is poor compared with Canon. (The ISO rating Fuji use is pretty optimistic BTW). Their flash system is not mature either. They are handy and for printing sunny snaps big they're fine. If that's all you want then they're great, although so are loads of other cameras. I admit Fuji have a certain kudos which is important to many

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I was going to reply to the above, however terminal inertia set in.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Probably the best camera for most people is the one that they find easy and convenient to carry.
    Fuji serve to fill the gap left by all those inconveniently bulky and heavy cameras sitting at home.
    however in the real world, they do so with almost no compromise on build quality or results.

15. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Hi everyone. Will post a follow up to your responses soon (I'm experiencing some Windows 10 based Internet connectivity issues which is making it difficult to post a reply from my laptop and I'm probably going to need to write more in response than I'll find comfortable to do from my tablet)

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  16. Terrywoodenpic

Fuji Jpegs are excellent soc. but there has been no problem processing the raw's for some time now. Adobe raw processor applies all the native settings automatically.
    The cameras as they have come out, have introduced new features. It has been possible to add some of them via firmware releases to older cameras, but obviously not hardware ones.
    If you want everything top of the range then you still have to get the latest cameras. But for many people even early ones are better than they need. or are better than they are used to.

Brian likes this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Dear Willie,

"Togs" possibly. Photographers: I wouldn't be so sure. Some of us care more about pictures than cameras, and once we have kit that works, we stick with it as long as we can.

Cheers,

R.

Gezza and Terrywoodenpic like this.
  18. Roger Hicks

Dear Rog,

No, it's not "quite okay", at least with digital, unless you're happy with an ever-shortening product cycle and more and more landfill. I've got lots of cameras too, but almost all are film cameras; were acquired second hand; and have a design life of decades.

Cheers,

R.

19. Terrywoodenpic

No one needs the very best camera or lens,ever.
    They might not even fit each other, or be a useful folcal length or format.
    How could you decide what the "best" is anyway?
    All we need is a camera that produces the result that we need, to the right quality.

20. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in March 2012 when I was already too old for a bone marrow transplant and all that could be done was to try to contain the disease and to limit its effects. At that time I was undertaking long hill walks and carrying full frame Canon cameras and lenses. Within a couple of years it became obvious that I could no longer carry such equipment so I sold it all and bought into the Fuji approach. It helped a great deal initially, but in the last year I have been unable to carry anything much and my photography is now limited to that which I can do from a motor car or on a tripod indoors or in the garden.
    So, in a way, the Fuji diversion was no more than that, a diversion. If I had hung on to my Canon gear I would now be using it in the same way as I use the Fuji stuff, but of course I would have missed a couple of happy years outdoors. Was it worth it? Absolutely.
    Multiple Myeloma weakens all your muscles, causes them to tire quickly and inhibits recovery from exertion. It also makes one continually short of breath. So I can walk a short distance providing that I go very slowly, but I cannot carry any load at all.
    Happily, I can still drive comfortably though my extremities get pins and needles at times. I searched for a car that is easy to get in and out of, that is easy to drive and which has other helpful features (such as a heated steering wheel) and it's great to be able to get out and about, though I really miss my walking.