1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

FTP

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by MickLL, Jul 30, 2007.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Does any one know a good FTP transfer programme - something like Cute FTP (but free).

MickLL

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

MickLL

I use Smart FTP it's free and does what it says on the tin :D

3. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

FileZilla works fine for me....

4. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

You can use Internet Explorer if you want - google for details of how to set it up. Alternatively, you can just use FTP from a command prompt, but that does mean you need to know the various commands. Something like SmartFTP is certainly more straightforward.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

6. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I use 3D-FTP but it's not free though it does an extremely fine job and is very fast and well worth paying for.

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

Sorry the first post was so rushed - 'er indoors was demanding attention !

The reason that I want some software is that, for some reason, the site that I want to access doesn't like IE so I need one of these programmes.

MIckLL

8. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

I use FileZilla.

9. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

Another vote for Filezilla

10. CarlPickering

CarlPickering Member

I use filezilla, previously I used to use CuteFTP.. I also use WinSCP if I'm using sFTP

11. CarlPickering

CarlPickering Member

The problem with IE, is that it isn't an FTP program, it just has simple FTP abilities. So you'll find it dies or bombs out. It works well as a browser, sorta.. But FTP? Nah, use something built for that task

12. Cyberdux

Cyberdux Well-Known Member

SmartFTP, easy to use and it's free aswell..

Dux

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Mine is another vote for SmartFTP. :cool:

14. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

I use Terrapin FTP, which is free for a month IIRC, and then costs about £20.

It is very easy to use, with an interface similar to Windows Explorer.