1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustration

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Dorset_Mike, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I'm trying to find a radio alarm clock with the clock being radio controlled; no matter how I juggle the search wording I seem to end up with either all clock radios with no radio control or all radio controlled clocks with no radio just a few exceptions which either have abysmal reviews or exorbitant prices.

Searches covered Amazon, Argos, Ebay and Google

The cheapest radio controlled clock is £4.99, the clock radios start around £12, there is one that combines both features at £23, but the controls are not normal buttons but touch sensitive points on the top which judging by the reviews are almost impossible to locate,especially in the dark or on first waking .

I did find a couple that might do the job but price was over £50 which is a bit much for an alarm clock. Braun do one on Amazon at £55.69 but reviews are mixed, display has a bright light which can be switched on/off but not dimmable, battery operated but mains adapter is an extra; for me mains operation with battery back up is the ideal.

Am I too fussy?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I would think most clocks are accurate enough now not to need constant resetting. The main issue with radio alarm clocks is whether they are too bright. Nothing worse than having to cover the clock up so that you can sleep. We bought a free-view box/recorded for the bedroom TV and it has a bright blue clock on it which just has to be covered. Worse the IR control is next to it, so,it has to be uncovered for the remote to work.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've got Roberts (Dreamline) ones and Pure (Siesta). I prefer the Pure one. I also got a Bush retro one, but not impressed with sound quality.

My biggest gripe is that volume control is very widely stepped so it's either too little or too much!
    My requirement was for a good sleep function and I get a 90 minute one with the Pure Siesta. Both are radio controlled time-wise.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

About 30 years ago, I remember buying a radio-controlled one for my late aunt (living 140 miles away). I think it might have been a Roberts. I wanted the radio control feature so that I didn't need to drive to her flat twice a year just to correct the time. Have you tried eBay?

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

While we are on this subject why are no kitchen appliances radio controlled. Or cameras for that matter?

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I guess because we switch a lot of them off?

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I hardly ever switch a cooker off at the wall. Far too much fuss it's bad enough doing it twice a year.

Mike on the original query try Coopers of Stortford who have (apparently ) got what you want