1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated with trade off's in choosing a camera

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by gordonramsey, Aug 1, 2010.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

so you may well have your "bargain of the century"
    well done :D

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

That sounds really good. But just asking you not getting the 14-140mm lens to match your compact TZ5 then? I know new GF1 come with a standard lens for starters. Unless this ebay one does not. Just be curious if that is ok?

3. gordonramsey

gordonramsey Active Member

sorry I could not understand your question? Were you asking if I was intending to buy the 14-140mm lens which would match the zoom of the TZ5?

4. P_Stoddart

Yes, because you only said 140mm not 14-140mm. So I thought you might have decided on fix focal length lenses. Sorry if it is crossed wires. :)

5. gordonramsey

http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/html/lenses___accs_s.html

What is the difference between the £229 45 - 200mm telephoto lens and the £499 14-140mm 10x zoom lens?

I'm wondering why the 200mm lens is far less expensive than the 140mm and I'm guessing it's something to do with the tele-photo aspect compared to the X10 zoom although I don't know the technical difference between the two?!

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

one word perhaps- quality
    I suspect the more expensive lens is better built rather than being a just a kit lens...suggest you look at other vendors websites to check this out.
    Notice it's also specifically mentioning HD video so that may well be something to do with it..

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's very much easier and cheaper to build a lens that's purely telephoto than one that goes from wideangle to telephoto, as very different optical problems are encountered and need to be dealt with, and the wider the range, the more expensive the solutions. Going back to the thread title, EVERY choice of photo equipment is a trade-off; with a wide-ranging zoom, either the quality is very poor or the corrections required are expensive. In fact it's only very recently that decent quality superzoom lenses were even possible. Generally, if you want maximum quality for minimum cost, you need to use separate lenses. If you must have the convenience of a single lens, you have to pay for it, either in terms of lower quality, or in terms of pound notes, and frequently both.

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

In a nutshell, the 45-200 is only a zoom factor of200/45 ~= 4.5, whereas the 14-140 is as you say a 10x zoom. Also, as Nick says, zooming from wide angle to telephoto requires a much more complex optical design than just from short to long tele.

Generally, zooms with a zoom factor of up to around 3-4x can produce reasonable quality at not too exorbitant cost. When you get up to around 6-8x, either the price skyrockets or the quality nosedives, especially for extreme focal lengths (wide or tele) and wide apertures. You never get something for nothing: on a good day, you might at least get what you paid for!

With ultra wide angles, the limit for reasonable price / performance seems to be around 2 - 2.5x zoom.

9. gordonramsey

I managed to get the 14-140mm lens from the GH1 kit sold separately for £499 so the perfect combination with GF1 was just £770! Thanks again to everyone who contributed...

10. P_Stoddart

Have you taken any test shots yet? Does it live up to the specs? Better than the TZ5? :)

11. gordonramsey

I've only taken a few and yes there's no doubt the image quality is better and I'm gradually referring to a photography book and daring to switch to 'M' :eek: I need to put in many more hours!