1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fruit flies, and Citizen Science

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm pleased to report that the paper mentioned in the link below has now been published.
    http://www.quekett.org/resources/article-archive/bsw-2017/bsw17-suzukii

I've had some sort of microscope since I was 14, and have been a member of The Quekett Microscopical Club for around 20 years. When I volunteered to get involved, I had no idea how modern analysis methods could take our results and turn them into something of value. I've still got the vinegar, so could have another go this autumn.

Geren, steveandthedogs and MJB like this.
  2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've been involved in many 'citizen science' projects over the years, supporting conservation projects mostly. Mostly reporting sightings like the Big Butterfly Count or the recent Kestrel count, but for several years I submitted catch reports and scale samples from any Bass I caught fishing.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This is good stuff. Thanks for telling us about it.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

WHS. Interesting stuff... Roll on retirement :D

5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Haven't done any citizen science for a while, apart from reporting brown hare sightings.
    I used to run the cancer compound scanner on my PC when idle, but nothing since.