1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fridge Or Not?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Oct 15, 2019.

1. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Presumably you get a squirt of ketchup on yours regardless then !
    It'll be a lot of walking around back and forth to the fridge for the family at tea time .
    In fact I think the fridge door would be opened up that much to get it , it would have stayed colder left in the cupboard !

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

They're the reason you daily hear a 'click clack clack ching!' in your head. I know you think it was dodgy shellfish causing that, but this is the truth.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nope.

Seriously though, what are you folk putting ketchup on that requires a set table and hours of prep? I rarely use ketchup, usually only with eggs or perhaps nutloaf if it's a bit dry. Bish bash bosh, spend more time on things that matter. ;)

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If I'm having ketchup then it's on something I prepared myself. Takes mere seconds to apply, Mrs Zou's plate certainly won't get cold for the time it takes.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

As an aside... why is cottage cheese so wet these days? I feel as if I need to put a bit of muslin in the seive, add the cottage cheese and pour boiling water over it! I do love a good cottage cheese, but I guess it will have to be goats cheese from now on.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That never goes in the fridge

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

It's not do often were all in at the same time to sit down and have a meal together .
    The food doesn't necessarily take a long time to prepare , but when we sit down to eat we also talk to each other rather than sit in silence shoving food in our mouths then going to sit in silence elsewhere .
    Depending on how much chatting we do , it could be a while before the tables cleared .

By sauces I include not just tomato sauce or HP sauce , but such as apple sauce , chutney or whatever suits the meal were having .

Though of course apple sauce , chutney's , mustard etc are kept in the fridge .
    It would be madness otherwise !

8. Catriona

I wonder why we didn't all die in the 1950s.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I would put them in the bin if I had my way. The rest of the family put them in the fridge.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ah, we (if I'm off work) tend to be together in kitchen and then move the chat to the table as we eat. Much more sociable, but I understand bigger families are harder to organise like that.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pretty sure a lot of people did... o_O

MJB and Catriona like this.
  12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Presumably if they drained it off too much , they'd have to put more cottage cheese in the tub .
    I've noticed it too .
    I occasionally get a tub of cottage cheese with pineapple in , I was sure there was less liquid in years ago .
    It seems to be the same regardless of where I get it from .

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Yes, it's quite disgusting now. Runs off the crackers!

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've not had cottage cheese for years. Sounds like that was a fortuitous fate.

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

Ha! OK.
    We used to have a pot of soup on the stove - almost permanently! It got topped up every now and then - and presumably cleared out sometimes! We got milk and other dairy products daily - and bread - and meat and vegetables. Jam was kept in a cupboard and didn't go off. Same for sauces and chutneys. Our first fridge was got in 1959. Great for ice lollies. :)

Zou likes this.
  16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

We put ketchup and brown sauce in the fridge, because I prefer them both firmer and less runny. Like @Zou we take them out, use them, put them back, they don't warm up. They remain a much more constant temperature in the fridge than they would in a cupboard in the kitchen (changing from anything from 7C to 28C over the course of a year). I know they don't need to be in a fridge, but it's actually more convenient for us to keep them there.

Zou likes this.
  17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Meanwhile everytime you open your fridge it warms up. Bad news for the important stuff like beer and the environment.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Cold beer? How very continental...

MJB likes this.
  19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's kind of self-explanatory, it's sauce and it's brown:rolleyes:.

20. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

With the amount of sugar and vinegar in both, I challenge anyone to make them go off. I have left both in my motorhome for months , yet I still write this! (Very high temperatures, yet still palatable and not lethal)