1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Fridge Or Not?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

So musing the important things in life, as I added brown sauce to my bacon rolls, I wondered if many people, like me, put there tomato and brown sauce in the fridge once it is open or just leave it in the kitchen cupboard?

What say you?

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I rather boringly follow the label - refrigerate once opened.

Learning likes this.
  3. Derek W

I must confess I have never read the labels.

It just seemed the sensible thing to do, place it in the fridge once opened.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

despite the fact it has salt, sugar and vinegar amongst the ingredients (3 of the finest natural preservatives known to man:rolleyes:) it goes in the fridge.
    Mainly to stop it becoming too runny

EightBitTony and Learning like this.
  5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Put tomato ketchup in the fridge and brown sauce (HP of course) in the cupboard. No idea why....???

Note: Just looked at labels.
    Tomato Ketchup says Store in Cool Place. Once opened keep in fridge and consume within 6 weeks of opening
    HP Sauce - No information on storing and usage at all. Just a use-by date which is half way through next year. That's how I like it.

Zou likes this.
  6. Derek W

Just opened up a fresh bottle of HP, now in the fridge.

I think I may have to chuck my tomato sauce though if it is supposed to be consumed within 6 weeks, I had this particular bottle at my old house and I have been in my new house coming up to 8 months now.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I consider the squeezy bottles to be virtually air-tight. As such, they can be assumed (imo) to last far longer than 6 weeks. As mentioned above, pretty full of preservatives anyway.

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that many of the very long storage dates are the result of the product being packaged & supplied in a protective atmosphere e.g. sulphur dioxide, nitrogen, carbon dioxide. Once that's no longer present, more normal storage dates will apply.

9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

My choice is brown sauce in the bin, but my better half overrules this!

Benchista likes this.
  10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Fridge for both once opened

Learning likes this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Fridge. I once worked in a cafe that kept its bowls of ketchup/brownsauce/mustard on a tray in the kitchen overnight for ease of getting it out onto the tables next day. The dark crust that formed on top was not pleasant. Put me off for life.

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Never put brown sauce or tomato sauce in the fridge .
    There on the bottom shelf of the cupboard next to the breakfast cereal ( where else ?)
    The big bottle of hp sauce might be a year old and is still fine .
    Tomato sauce is used a bit more , so we go through three or so bottles a year , so about four months old .
    It doesn't go off .

13. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

The problem with putting brown sauce in the fridge is that you'd be putting cold sauce onto a hot Full English [or Welsh or Scots or Irish etc].

14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

And?

These things were designed to keep at least over winter, and not in a fridge either.

S

Learning likes this.
  15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Fridge, there's space enough for it. I contend that it will keep better chilled, although it has sufficient vinegar to keep quite well without refrigeration. I never keep eggs in the fridge though, I buy fresh from a local market and they are fine kept in the pantry.

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Drives me nuts! My fridge has more jars and tubes than food in it.

Preserves should preserve but bought ones don't apparently. Pickles should stay pickled. Condiments should stay condiment (haha!).

How I wish for a larder!
    How I wish bought things lasted without refrigeration.
    Use the correct processes and nothing should go off.

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd never put HP sauce in the fridge. Ketchup is kept in the fridge in our house but I never touch the stuff (yuk)

Catriona likes this.
  18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Now I never touch HP Sauce, yuk!

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Constantly chilling and warming each time you take the bottle out of the fridge is probably not the best food hygiene practice.

20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I remember my old second cousin offering me a dram. Would you like lemonade? A little splash would be good thanks. So this bottle appeared, half full, complete with rusty screw top and she poured some in!
    I didn't die.

Zou likes this.