1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freezing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Just got a new freezer so I can freeze some runner beans and fruit from the PYO. Reading the manual it says put food for freezing into the top drawer, I always thought the coldest part of a freezer or fridge was at the bottom.

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I expect the cold air vents deposit the cold at the top allowing it to exit at bottom, having done its work.
    Normally nowadays the air is pumped round, not allowed to settle naturally as in an old chest freezer

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I guess, and the important word is guess. is that you do not want to spoil other contents of the freezer. Just follow the instructions, but perhaps cranking up the freezing action for a day. I am beginnng to freeze home grown Autumn raspberries, and red ripe japeño chillies. How does one get the twiddly bit over the n? I have tried the obvious ctrl and alt combinations with n?
    Editted after cheating.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Press alt and n together. You'll see it blocked out in yellow. Then type n without hitting the space bar or anything else. ñ

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well, you will if you're using a mac.

6. Learning

Doesn't work in Windows 7 within Firefox.
    Of course one can provoke an apple user to demonstrate, and then copy and paste ñ.

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Or go to Windows Character Map and copy it from there.

S

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

In a freezer with drawers the top drawer is usually a "fast freeze" section for introducing unfrozen items. I guess it also avoids you introducing heat to lowest section where it would , if you stuck something massive and warm in it, potentially raise the temperature of the sections above

11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No need to remember various codes, just search for the Character Map on your computer, you simply double click on the one you want, then copy it from the box and paste it.

Łîķĕ Ŧɧĭ₴

S

Footloose likes this.
  12. Dorset_Mike

Well it seems to work OK, just frozen a bit over a kilo of runner beans and some raspberries.

Must get one of those old rotary bean slicers.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh, they were the best. I got a look-alike one that suctioned (supposedly) to the worktop. Waste of time. I do miss the old one that was strong and held fast, clamped to the worktop or table. They don't make them like they used to!! I just hate those pull through blades too - horrid! I end up doing it painstakingly by hand with a sharp large knife.

14. Learning

I freeze lots of raspberries through summer and autum then have a jam making session late September or early October. One year a neighbour from several doors away could smell it. I think she was after a jar or two. Too upfront to succeed. Raspberry jam is one of the easiest to make because it sets easily and there is no need to over sweeten. One kilo of fruit to only 900g of sugar and no added pectin works fine. I find that in Winter a perfect starter for breakfast is microwaved porridge into which a generous table spoonful of homemde fruity, sharp, rasberry jam is 'swirled'.

15. Dorset_Mike

What is the main problem with the newer ones Kate? is it the Suction cup failing to hold it or is it the cutting? I see on ~Amazon there is a clamp one at over £30 against the suction cup one at £9.99 (Same suction cup one on Ebay is somewhat dearer, like £12 - £14)

16. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I admit when it comes to freezing stuff I just put it where there is space (Not there's much of that in there right now- the local "Co-Op" has been having a run on "reduced to clear" in the meat section so I could eat for a fortnight on what is in there!)

(I don't know why but since Dave died and I've had all the uncertainty on the work front I've become a tad obssessional about being well stocked up- just in case I had to claim benefits and they took a while to come through I think)