1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free SilkyPix Developer Studio now version 8.0

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Eye Robot, Sep 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

Panasonic users might like to know that the free downloadable version of SilkyPix Developer Studio has upgraded from version 4.4 to Version 8.0. This is a large leap and has extra funtionality. It also installs separately so the old version remains untouched. So good news if you are a fan (Yes, I know it's just me).

Main new features are:

* Clarity Slider

* Spotting tool and clone tool - not quite as easy to use as the PSE one. Cloned areas can be highlighted in red for review purposes.

* Dodge/Colour Burn/HDR sliders. The Dodge/Burn effect is not the local adjustment you might expect from PSE but works on the whole image, Dodge on the dark areas and Colour Burn on the light areas - ie like shadows and highlights controls. HDR is similar but less much less subtle. They can be used separately or in combination.

* Additional new "Natural" sharpening algorithm.

* Controls can go to panel left AND right of main window or float. Reconfigure the interface to your liking.

* New online help manual. Some of the translations in certain areas were barely understandable in the old manual. The new one is not much better but at least you have the two to compare, which might just make it easier to comprehend.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

They have been through several releases of the full package in the last few months. I get the advertising emails. I think I must have run the demo to compare with the free Fuji version.

3. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

When registering, I never know whether the tick box entitled "I don't hope to receive newsletters" means to tick it or leave it blank if you want them.
    I've been leaving it blank, but I never get any.
    Next time I'll try ticking it.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My impression is that they are playing catchup. It is a while since I tried the demo. It was painfully slow, you could see the screen refresh in patches plus it only worked on Windows and I use a Mac mainly. I have a Wimdows laptop for work when I travel and I'll use it for photo storage then but it is useless for editing on, the screen is dreadful.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I downloaded and installed the new version a couple of weeks back - I had no idea it had been upgraded, I was just browsing, - and it does seem to be a considerable upgrade on the older 4.4 not only in terms of features but also in speed.

Not sure I'll be using it though as Affinity can also open RW2 files and I'd rather use one converter for all my raw files.