1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FREE! AP MAsterclass at London Zoo

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Debbi, Sep 12, 2013.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I just wanted to get out and take some shots and play with settings since I need to be on the top of my game tomorrow and all I got was rubbish- one or two okay-ish shots apart from anything else I had a stinking cold so I didn't feel too good. The good news is it seems to have passed off....but which zoom for tomorrow? I know my 18-55 but is that going to be long enough? My other options are a 18-200 Tamron I picked up the other week secondhand and have only put on the camera to check it worked and the 300m Sigma that I only just found out works with the D7000. I'm okay on the primes, Tamron 90 macro and the Nifty Fifty but is this a good set up for wildlife?

2. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

See you there.

3. LesleySM

See you there! I am now resigned to not doing anything good but who knows? I just had a rotten days shooting yesterday and I'm currently trying to sort my lenses out

4. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Lesley - relax and enjoy the day :)

m

BTW For anyone interested there is a Landscape Masterclass in Tatton Park - Cheshire with Tom Mackie scheduled for the end of the month. Not sure if it's fully booked yet. Details here.

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Like Mark says Lesley, there's no pressure on you. Just you relax and enjoy your day :cool:

6. AlanClifford

Bring everything.

7. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Or just a compact - but do relax and enjoy :)

David Lloyd

8. LesleySM

I've got 10 lenses are you volunteering to help carry them?;)

9. LesleySM

You are all right- as Dave says I'm getting 5 hours of teaching and free admission to the zoo so relax and enjoy it. Mind you he also says he wants close ups of the Komodo dragons, so even though I've only had it on the camera once where it took an out of focus shot of the toilet (I'd just discovered it would AF on my D7000 and haven't used it since) I am carrying my 80-300 Sigma..I ain't getting that close especially to please someone who read my pension policy and stands to get a large lump sum should I say...um...be ripped apart by a Komodo dragon......

It's 11pm, battery charged, don't have to get up until 7.30am, have some bacon and eggs if I get up in time if not I'll grab something on the way, just gonna put the 300 in the bag, in the morning arrange everything in said bag (wallet, keys, phone etc)

See you tomorrow

10. LesleySM

What a great day! Thanks very much for letting me go

11. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Lesley,

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your day :D

Now then, tell all ;)

12. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Indeed :) Last I heard from Lesley was that she was in a cab at Holborn ;)

Tatton Park - Cheshire - 31 Oct 13 is the next scheduled free AP Masterclass btw. Details here

m

13. LesleySM

What's to tell? The tutor was fantastic, we covered tons of animals most of which were asleep. I seemed to see a lot of rear ends of various animals! Or they were asleep! Walked miles , lunch was okay. The giraffe got the biggest laugh of the day when she I think a she anyway took a massive wee! Loved the reptiles and amphibians probably my best shot was of a jewelled frog although rather annoyingly the meerkats were also dead cute...and more importantly moving

14. AlanClifford

15. AlanClifford

Yeah, not a log of activity in the larger animals to experiment with slow shutter speed to enhance movements. But something to think about for the future rather than just setting 1/600th on the 600 mm (135 equivalent) lens.

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well, while you lightweights went off home :p, I went to docklands to try get some decent dusk shots of the cable cars. :)

Very long day for me. Into London for 6:30 sunrise at Stratford. Then over to zoo, luckily bump into Robin who had printout of email. So we figured we are in wrong place and fix that. :)

I would have liked the pass for me scrapbook :p. Which was dated so probably in bin. :confused:

Dave Stevenson is a interesting guy. :)

He even showed local shots taken at Richmond of deer so you don't have fly out of the country to get good animal stuff. :)

Actually did not realise day at the zoo was going to be that long as I had hoped to squeeze in some photo exhibitions. :)

Anyway great fun and a laugh. :D Shame the light faded after lunch so all flat light. :(

17. LesleySM

18. LesleySM

Unbelievably I caught the eye light as well I thought I was too far away but lo and behold when I cropped it

[​IMG]
    Tiger 5 by LesleySM3, on Flickr

19. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

So on the whole I presume that those attending enjoyed the experience :)

Landscapes are up next, 31.10.13 with Tom Mackie at Tatton Park, Cheshire, in the AP Masterclass series.

regards
    m

20. AlanClifford

Nice pussycat.