1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forgery

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I left school around 50 years ago and my mother died about 45 years ago -- but I can still forge her initials and my housemaster's. Whose initials/signatures did you ever learn to forge? Can you still do it?

Cheers,

R.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I can't even forge my own signature. The last few attempts at signing on have taken 3 or more goes to get it right...
    i used to be able to do my dad's signature.

Zou and peterba like this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

You too...? :)

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Frances said, "I never forged anyone's signature, but there was one shop where they had my mother's signature, my father's signature and mine, all side by side when we signed up for a card or something, and you had to look hard to tell them apart."

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  5. peterba

My signature is - in style - reasonably similar to my late Father's. Mine, however, is much scruffier, and much more illegible.

6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Has anybody managed a legible signature on one of those couriers or posties screen pad thungs?

RogerMac and peterba like this.
  7. peterba

Never...!!

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I run out of space by letter 3. My son must have more success because his signature has seemingly not evolved from X, though it is more freeform

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Had one a while ago when the driver hadn't got a pen (stylus) so he told me just to use my finger nail...!!

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Anyone accusing me of forgery would have a hard time making it stick. You can barely tell that I wrote 2 successive lines!

peterba likes this.
  11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Never in a million years! I have however achieved the unusual distinction of long distance signing for things. A couple of times I have been notified complete with a copy of "my" signature that I have signed for a delivery at home when I was at work at the time!

peterba likes this.
  12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I wonder if Couriers and Postie's will have (Eg, 800x800 pixel) camera installed in them in the near future?

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I've never forged anybody's signature but when I was at grammar school decades ago I used to forge bus tickets. I worked very hard for a week or two to replicate the ticket machine printing until it became almost second nature. I had a few lengths of genuine ticket paper which the conductors discarded at the end of the rolls, which I sneaked into my pockets. Then, one afternoon, I casually presented my return ticket to the conductor who looked at it, and to my great relief and delight, punched it and returned it to me. I probably saved about twopence for all my effort and I suspect that had an inspector ever got aboard I would have been rumbled. My classmates were impressed though and I gained some modest kudos but my nascent efforts as a forger ended there and then.

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

You can now expect the Fraud Squad knocking on your door any day now after making that formal confession .

15. miked

miked Well-Known Member

As long as they don't look in the shed, which is where I store my Van Gogh "originals".;)

peterba likes this.
  16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Years ago there was a manager of the department which I worked on used to ask me to sign things on his behalf .
    Checks that had been done , rota's , holiday authorisations , staff overtime slips , etc .
    I'd signed that much for him in his name that when I went on holiday and he signed something , the main office rejected it saying it was a forged signature because it looked nothing like anything that was filed away that "he had signed" !

After that , only I could sign anything .

It wasn't much later that he quit and went elsewhere though I continued signing things in his name for another six months before a new manager was finally sent to the department .
    I suspect that the big bosses only noticed he'd gone after the department was being "run" much better without him and staff costs were much less and decided to look into things .

Roger Hicks and EightBitTony like this.
  17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

You've got some too have you ?
    I hope there not the same ones as mine !

18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Unlikely, as I only paint 'originals' once.

19. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Ah , O.K .
    I have to do all my "originals" in batches to satisfy demand . o_O

Roger Hicks likes this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't believe I ever forged anyone's signature but I've had mine forged plenty of times.

The school has a system in place where each child is issued with a Planner. The planner contains timetables, diary, helpful study hints and tips. Pupils are supposed to use it to note down homework as it is issued, keep track of deadlines and generally get themselves organised. Teachers use it to communicate informally with the parents. How are the parents supposed to see these informal communications? Well, it turns out that each week the parent is supposed to sign the planner in acknowledgement that their child has been issued with homework, given deadlines and received informal communications to pass on to their parents.

I found out about this on the first week that my youngest started attending the school and I had an email from her form teacher the next week requesting that I buck my ideas up and sign the planner. When I asked what planner, I was given the full low down. I innocently remarked that this was a great new intiative, only to be told that actually they'd had them for years. At this point I ended the conversation fairly promptly and lined up my two older children to ask them how come I'd never seen their planners, nor recieved any emails from the school requesting that I do a better job of signing them.

"Oh, but you did sign them" said middle kid all innocently, before producing several years' worth of School Planners, all religiously signed with my name by someone who had clearly never actually seen my signature. Every week. For three years.

The main thought that I had about all this was that teachers must have really low expectations with regards to parental handwriting if they really believed that I'd signed any of those pages.

EightBitTony likes this.