1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Discussing and debating Brexit.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

So, has anyone dared naming a rose 'Brexit' yet? :rolleyes:
    As for the chippy shop photo, this also reveals something else which nowadays probably wouldn't be allowed - or would be seriously frowned upon; Converting what was a house, into this kind of shop. The building has had the lintel over the door and maybe, different stonework installed around the window.

There's a house dating from about the late 1890s -1900's in Caversham, from a cycle shop and then in maybe the 1920s, a garage where cars were repaired and MOT's were done! This house is now trading as a bicycle repair shop again, yet when I last went past it, the old hand-cranked petrol pump the garage had, was still there. :eek:

I'll have to go back and then post a photo of this here. The housing regs plus H&S standards were obviously a lot less strict back then!

2. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

The news to-night......How many Billions..........now who is screwing who??????? and we are still in it!

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I tried 1 small piece 50 years ago and have never felt like repeating the experience. :( Liver and bacon now. That's quite different.

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Plenty of fried tripe being served up by the brexiteers.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Unadulterated tripe more like

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Brexit isn't as rose, it's what you put on roses to make them grow.

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Please remind me if there is a way to ignore a thread.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Rose jam is very nice. We got some made by a company in Provence called Albert Menes. It's a bit subtle compared with Marmalade or most fruit jams but goes very nicely on drop scones. :)

9. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we are are too old now to have anymore children but if we were to have another child we would call the child Brexit!.....in the meantime we of course will keep trying, you never know.......the nickname would probably be Rex.......

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You are married I hope, because if not, little Brexit...

S

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Among the recycled drivel the Maybot recited at Florence I see the first sign of "creativity and imagination". Apparently she has finally realized that she can't just say "Look here, Johnny Foreigner, we're going to do it this way!" Instead, she has moved fractionally towards what anyone could have seen was inevitable from Day 1: paying for access to the single market if you want to stay in it.

With any luck, this will mark the beginning of an increasingly realistic attitude to Brexit, perhaps culminating in the ultimate pragmatic realism of withdrawing Article 50. I realize that Brexiteers are horrified by the idea that this is possible, because they know that if people are given the choice of poverty and isolation or affluence and integration they'll choose the latter, but most sane people (including the man who drafted it) reckon that it is.

Still waiting for any coherent, well-researched answers to the advantages of Brexit. The best offers so far have been risible, involving as they do an American company buying a British company and an inability to distinguish between the Council of Europe and the EU.

Cheers,

R.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. Roger Hicks

Um... Don't click on it?

Failing that, close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and go LALALALA as loudly as you can. It's a time-honoured strategy for Brexiteers.

Cheers,

R.

13. Andrew Flannigan

There should be a law allowing kids to sue their parents for giving them silly names. I knew a bloke whose parents saddled him with "Arizona". He changed it by deed poll to "Robert" as soon as he hit 18.

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Of course there is it is called willpower.
    Not sure if brexiteers do willpower?

15. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Presumably to match "Bruce", which everyone had been calling him for years (to avoid confusion).

Cheers,

R.

16. Roger Hicks

Dear Terry,

They can't, really, as everything is the EU's fault -- never theirs or their useless government's.

Cheers,

R.

Trannifan and steveandthedogs like this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Spelled "Wrecks".

Cheers,

R.

18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I see Moody;s have dropped the UK's credit rating overnight. They gave a lot of guff about Brexit uncertainty and government finances, but I think it's really because they think we're batshit crazy.

I did a quick bit of number crunching this morning, looking to see if I was hiding any of the £350,000,000 per week in my back pocket. No luck, unfortunately, so I had a harder look.

It seems that our 2016 EU contributions were around £17Bn, with a rebate of £4Bn, and we finally paid £13.1Bn, so even in the full amount the £350Mn was overstated, as 17 divided by 52 gives us £327Mn. After the rebate it looks like around £252Mn per week, not including the £4.5Bn the the treasury will have to find to cover the EU's UK expenditure.

But that's all old stuff that we know already.

Now lets look at what's happening.

Frankfurt is currently building housing and infrastructure for an additional one hundred thousand jobs in the finance industry, which they reckon is what they will poach from the London financial industry. I do not include Paris, Dublin, Luxemburg and Amsterdam who are all chucking away their game-keepers hats, and tucking 12 bores under their arms.

In 2014, the average tax contribution per finance worker in London was £85,000 p.a. so allowing for increasing remuneration of those workers, we can safely assume £90,000 p.a. in 2017. Multiply that by 100,000 in lost jobs and you get £9Bn of lost tax revenue. When you factor in the support costs in infrastructure, transport, food, and other purchases going to Frankfurt, and the jobs these things support, the loss to the treasury will clearly exceed the amount of our actual EU contribution, again, not including EU spending in the UK.

Add in the European Medicines Agency and the European Banking Authority, employing over a thousand between them, and allow for the fact that the UK has to pay for their moving expenses and residual costs (the EMA has a lease up to the end of 2029 and alone will cost about another £1Bn) we will be yet further out of pocket.

...and this is just looking at one industry that will be affected...

Dear Mr. Farage, would you please review the pack of lies you told last year, and report forthwith to the Tower via the Traitor's Gate for a friendly discussion, in the manner of Giudo Fawkes.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Trannifan and steveandthedogs like this.
  19. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. Brexit, Nigel Farage's bastard child.

20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I was trying to be polite.

S