1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Discussing and debating Brexit.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The B4B campaign is not simply aimed at MP's. BoJo might be a weird and extreme brexiteer.
    But the aim is to motivate those people, who like the rest of us will be harmed by Brexit, but had voted for it, to now join in support of the other half of the country who voted remain.
    Many people who voted brexit now regret that they did so, especially now that it is becoming obvious what the costs and disadvantages of leaving the EU will be.
    However much some now regret it, they have become convinced by the Tory machine, that nothing can be done about it, and they have retreated into their shells.
    The truth of the matter is, that Brexit can still be rejected.

MP's are always sensitive to public opinion, if only because their very jobs depend on it for re-election.
    Many of them are well aware of the dangers facing us on brexit. They only hold back because they are not yet convinced that their electorate also wants to maintain the advantages of remaining in the EU. It is this that B4B is working toward.
    Were a referendum to be held again,there is no question that the result would be reversed. No one would vote to be poorer and a less secure future again.
    Many people now know that they were misled, but few of them would fall into that trap again.
    Just sitting on ones butt will do little to help. Helping B4B is one way to make a difference.

Roger Hicks and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We're just about to have the real national dish of Britain - Curry and Pilau Rice washed down with cider. ;)

Trannifan likes this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've just had fish and chips from the Village Chippy in Stubbins - excellent stuff!

Cheers, Jeff

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The very first:

Mossley-1963-web.jpg

S

5. Andrew Flannigan

Result!!! Fruit cake from our local baker for afters. :D

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I went in to our local baker's and looked at all the cakes on sale. Each was 50p apart from one that was priced at £1.
    I asked him "Why is that cake £1 when all the rest are 50p?"
    "Ah," he replied, "That's Madeira Cake". ;)

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Next door to the Stamford Arms in Mossley!

Cheers, Jeff

steveandthedogs likes this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Aaarrrrgggghhhhhhh! :p

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

You're fired.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I read recently that supporters of a 'hard brexit' are hoping this will enable them to fully privatise the UK- no more awkward labour legislation, NHS privatised, social security etc. means tested and reduced to a bare minimum..................

Lynn

steveandthedogs and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Then we apply to be the latest state admitted to the USA...

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

"Recently"? It was clear that was the plan before the referendum,surely?

The most ironic thing is that it was those who voted for Brexshit that will suffer most from it.

steveandthedogs and Roger Hicks like this.
  13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was discussing this with someone the other day. Unless you are in a seaside place that is cold, windy and wet, it seems so wrong to eat fish and chips from a chippy at lunchtime.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. Terrywoodenpic

Hard brexit, hard right, and the Tory ethos, sit together very well.
    They are now becoming a similar mix of attitudes found in the religious far right and amongst libertarians in the USA. with much the same insular bent, and a tendency to racial and other social and economic prejudices.

A while ago Tories Identified with the "Nasty Party" Which Cameron tried, but failed in his attempt to change. May has immediately reversed this in letting the poorer members of society pay the highest price, to get us out of the financial mess we were, and still are, in.

However none of those things fit very well with the British sense of fairness and equality of opportunity.
    We are better than this, and have come to share the values more commonly found in Europe, and find them closer to our ideal.

Brexit is not just removing us from Europe it is putting us firmly in the hands of right wing politician, but also at the mercy of the worst aspects of the financial and uncontrollable global business world. These are people and entities that have no interest in us at all, nor in the wellbeing of the British people.
    We are becoming "their Bitch".
    We do not have to like it, but the brexiteers voted for it.

15. Andrew Flannigan

I beg to differ. There is no finer lunch than fish and chips with the vinegar applied before the salt. Even better than curry. :)

16. Terrywoodenpic

I wonder what will happen to all the British run chippies on the "Costas" after brexit.
    they will have to sell calamaris, churros, tappas and slices of tortilla....as finger food.

17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

It's a pity this shot doesn't include the frontage of the premises next door ... presumably Higginbottom's, where Chitterings and fried Tripe were dished up? - The thought of even being presented with that, (having eaten it once when very young) makes me feel rather queasy!

18. steveandthedogs

I've a feeling it's not "Higgin-", but can't remember what - it was fifty-odd years ago!
    Fried tripe? The Old Man used to have it straight from the shop, I could never see the point, tasteless as it was.

S

19. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Whilst musing on the insanity of Brexit, an interesting parallel with Henry VIII crossed what I like to call my mind. I am sure that if Pope Clement VII had realized that Henry would adopt Protestantism for the whole country if he failed to get his divorce, then he would have risked the displeasure of Charles V of Spain and agreed to the divorce. I am equally sure that some uncrowned heads in Europe are now regretting treating David Cameron in such a cavalier fashion.

In fact, I believe Nigel Farage made some such similar comment recently in the European parliament regarding Cameron's European tour- not that this absolves him of anything. I still think we should lock him up in the Tower, and then throw away the Tower.

As a final footnote, according to the BBC, the popularity of the name 'Nigel' has gone very much downhill last year - with just two or fewer being christened thus in the last year to be a scourge upon the nation. Once it was apparently quite a popular name.

Trannifan and Roger Hicks like this.
  20. steveandthedogs

Your starter for ten. For your bonus points, which year?

S