1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Discussing and debating Brexit.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Here you go, a thread specifically for anything relating to Brexit. We have forums for the various camera brands, so why not one for what for some, seems to be an equally 'hot' topic? This is, after all, a website about photography, so why should those who wish to talk about this subject, have to suffer having to roam around all the forums and threads to find material on this subject when their views (either way) can all be conveniently posted here instead?

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Good idea.
    Also for those who don't wish to talk about Brexit having to see almost every post in the 'Lounge' ultimately get round to it..!!

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Alternatively people could go on doing what they want until the site owners decide otherwise. ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. Footloose

I don't doubt at all, that the pros and cons of Brexit raise a range of important issues, it's just that I prefer to raise them within forums outside of the AP website, where they are going to reach a far wider audience. Needless to say, I don't post on these under same 'name' I use here because that could potentially lead to those who enjoy 'Trolling', having a field day.

5. Footloose

Well, I suppose they could continue doing that Andrew, but then the AP could well turn around and say 'Enough is enough', because this is, after all, a photography-related website, not one catering for people wishing to discuss Brexit, resulting in people deciding to go to another photography-related website?

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Most single subject forums have a sub-forum for off-topic threads, an equivalent of this one.

Provided the off-topic stuff doesn't leak into other parts of the forum, there shouldn't be a problem. Unless some poster starts dragging his pet subject in to every off-topic thread. That could get a bit wearying.

That's when you need Admins willing to have the odd quiet word with people. Or split the offending posts out into a relevant thread?

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Because we want to avoid self-selecting bubbles containing only of (a) brexiteers or (b) those who may have bothered to go beyond the popular press and can see that it's more complicated than some people believe.

If you want to hide behind ignorance, feel free. All you have to do is to ignore the posts by those who think that leaving the EU might be slightly more important than swans and sunsets,

Why are you so frightened of open discussion? In THE LOUNGE? Can it be that you know you have no real arguments? Who is making you "suffer"? Why not just refuse to click on THE LOUNGE, which is specifically designed for NON-PHOTOGRAPHIC topics? Or at least, avoid the topics that frighten you. What are you scared of? Is it the inability of most Brexiteers to present cogent arguments?

Cheers,

R.

8. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Err I always try to be involved in any topic but many times I have been told that I don't know enough about brexit to be involved in any discussion, but what I do know is and its a fact that a vote was taken and the result was to leave the E.U. I know that people want another referendum and vote, the result would probably be to stay in the E.U. which would then be a draw, so would we have to have another vote then and make it the best of three........dare I ever click on the lounge forum again for a couple of months......

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A second vote to stay in would be, in effect, the best of three, if you include the original joining referendum in 1975.

10. IvorCamera

Whoops here we go again, I had forgotten about that one in 1975 (its an age thing) and to think I went to a lecture by Ted Heath to tell us all how good it will be to join.....I think it was the called The Common Market then though, was it not.........

11. Roger Hicks

Dear Steve,

History, statistics, politics, logic, mathematics... They're all beyond the comprehension of many who voted for Brexit.

And many who voted against it, too. But the stupidity and ignorance factors (along with racism) tend to favour the Brexiteers. Such as those who blame the EU because an American company bought a UK chocolate manufacturer. Or those who can't tell the EU from the Council of Europe. Or those who can't tell the EU from the WTO.

Cheers,

R.

12. IvorCamera

Good evening Roger.....That sounds like me......

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The only people who will be better off after brexit will be the asset strippers who always follow in the wake of failed companies.
    The chances of the average man in the street to be better off following brexis is close to zero.

It is still not too late to pull out of this disaster. But it will mean every one putting their weight behind the various campaigns.
    Including, but not limited to giving support to the Lib dems. And other pressure groups working for the interests of all those businesses and individuals who are in danger from our exit, were it to happen.

Almost everthing we care about, including the NHS social services, the armed forces and police and emergency services, have become stretched to breaking point, due to lack of funding. This is largely down to lack of growth in the private sector due to uncertainty, fear, and the resulting lack of investment. This has caused a massive gap between taxation and government ability to spend on these services.
    This is before any of the real cost of brexit kicks in.
    Brexit suppporters have joined the turkeys in voiting for christmas. And just as few recognise the horror of it yet.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Indeed, so I propose this thread now be given over to a discussion of flower photography. I grabbed this today in the garden and I think it's reasonably pleasing. Who else has some nice pictures they'd like to share?

Canon Eos 1Ds II 8GB 10 12CL8874.JPG

IvorCamera likes this.
  15. IvorCamera

Have you any nice pictures Andrew? :)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. Roger Hicks

Dear Terry,

Para 1: indisputable. Where do the Brexiteers THINK all these new jobs are going to come from? Do they WANT to go down the coal mines?

Para 2: equally indisputable. But the Brexiteers are terrified by open debate, as they have nothing to put on the table but fantasies and misunderstandings (EU/Council of Europe, chocolate manufacturers, etc.)

Para 3: and of course this is nothing to do with British domestic politics: it's all the fault of the Wicked EU. This is why Germany, the biggest contributor to the EU, is such a failure compared with the UK. Useless British management, poor education (yes, I'm looking at you, Eton) and exceptionalism are completely irrelevant.

I get rather tired of being lumped together with "privileged Baby Boomer [or pensioner] Brexiteers". Yes, there are plenty of Brexiteers in their dotage who were probably not too bright to begin with. But I resent the assumption that I am as stupid, ill-educated, ignorant, etc., as they are.

Cheers,

R.

Trannifan and Terrywoodenpic like this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Wouldn't a Venus fly trap have been more appropriate?

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

Not really. Still I keep trying. I thought this might appeal to a certain public...

Panasonic GM5_black 8GB _1040959.JPG

19. Roger Hicks

I am not a terrorist. I am merely bearded.

(A distinction, and a joke, probably beyond the grasp of the more intellectually challenged Brexiteer).

Cheers,

R.

20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Not in the lounge please...it is not the place for pretty pictures

Roger Hicks likes this.