1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For any pensioners out there

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by steveandthedogs, May 19, 2017.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I have no way of verifying this, but leave it for your perusal:

"The bits the Tories don't tell you. Copied from Jo Colby and Marie Robson.
    Quote from a city worker :
    "The Conservatives will attempt to soften the blow by promising that pensioners will not have to sell their homes to pay for their care costs while they, or a surviving partner, are alive. Instead, 'products will be available' allowing the elderly to pay by extracting equity from their homes, which will be recovered at a later date when they die or sell their residence.
    I have just seen this post online:
    'People need to read the small print associated with this because its a lot nastier than it looks.
    I work in the City. The insurance industry was approached by the Government several months ago with the aim of creating a new market for a new product.
    This arrangement is a culmination of those discussions. You wont have to sell your house PROVIDED that you purchase an insurance product to cover your social care. The "premiums" would be recovered from the equity after the house has been sold and the Insurance company will have a lien on the house and can force a sale if it wants to. So your offspring cant keep it on the market for long in order to get the best price.
    The real kicker in this is that in order to encourage the industry to market these products the government guaranteed that there would be no cap on the premiums.
    This was in some ways "attonement" for Osborne's destruction of the highly lucrative annuties market. This means that the premiums could be up to (and including) the entire remaining equity in the property after the government has taken its cut. Companies will be falling over themselves to get their snouts in this trough.
    In short your offspring and relatives could get absolutely NOTHING from your estate.
    If you buy one of these products you need to read the small print very very carefully indeed because there will be some real dogs on the market.
    I suspect that this is another financial scandal waiting to happen, but by the time it does, May will be long gone."

Footloose and peterba like this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Tories? Mis-selling? Putting money in the pockets of their friends in the City? Greeed? (Similar to "greed" but goes on longer). Lies? Snouts in the trough?

Nah, nah. Can't believe a word of it.

Cheers,

R.

frank1, TheFatControlleR, Zou and 6 others like this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes sounds like the "you will be able to cash in your annuities" scam. I understand best offer for a lifetime annuity is equivalent to 2.5 years' income. So for a £100k annuity you bought, you would recover about £7.5k. The City already had revenge for that one.

This latest is very smelly indeed.

Footloose and peterba like this.
  4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The sale of head sized plastic bags and selotape, will rise exponentially.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Well, voting in a Labour government might help. :(

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Terry,

Apparently the trick is a bottle of nitrogen connected to the bag and feeding the gas though it. This avoid the build-up of carbon dioxide, and you pass out without discomfort.

The question is, where could one get a big enough bottle to flood the relevant rooms in Number 10 Downing Street? And how to avoid collateral damage to the innocent? After all, there must be some innocent people there. Probably.

(Now to see if I'm arrested for advocating terrorism).

Cheers,

R.

7. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Or Lib Dem. I joined the Young Liberals when I was 16,

(That probably counts as terrorism too, under Ze Neue Guidelines of our Fuehrerin).

Cheers,

R.

Footloose, peterba, Trannifan and 2 others like this.
  8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I think tactical voting against the Tories is the way to go....
    Liberals are unlikely to win Oldham East and Saddleworth, though they have done so in the past.
    The betting is on the Tories to unseat the sitting Labour candidate .
    So I shall vote for Debbie Abraham (Lab) this time round.
    In other seats it would be better to vote Lib Dem.

Oldham East and Saddleworth betting odds. 19-05-17
    Conservative
    4/7
    Labour
    5/4
    Liberal Democrat
    20/1
    UKIP
    50/1
    Green
    80/1

Betting odds are better predictors than Poll ( but not by much)
    People would do well to check them for their own seat and vote tactically.
    At the worst it will narrow the gap.

9. Roger Hicks

Dear Terry,

Not so much "like" as "like very much".

It might just be possible to make June the end of May.

This'll be the last election in which Frances and I can vote in the UK (soon we'll have been in France too long). In the last election the Kippers came second. Aaargh...

Roger Gale is a lovely guy (I've met him), and an excellent constituency MP. On the other hand, he's a Conservative.

So: do we vote for the Kippers (#2 in 2015, to split the Tory vote), or Labour (#3, in 2015, a faint chance of getting in, but only a but over 1/3 Sir Roger's vote) or Liberal (my historical choice, but #5) or Green (#4) to send a message as it's a safe Tory seat anyway?

Tactical voting ain't as easy as it seems...

And before anyone asks why I care about voting in the UK, the answer is that depending on how big a hash the Tories make of Brexit, I might be forced to choose between that and suicide.

Cheers,

R.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I'm not religious but I can't help praying that Teresa May becomes Teresa Maynot.............Any encouragement to return to the UK is very rapidly disappearing.............

Lynn

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Does anyone know from where/whom I can purchase a Brompton Cocktail - just in case?

12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I am so utterly p*ssed off with the tawdry lot currently in power, that I would happily vote, tactically, for absolutely ANYONE (to the left of the Tories, that is;)) in order to assist in getting them out. It is now of crucial importance that we get rid of this self-serving bunch, before they do any more damage. They are hell-bent on ruining this country, and unfortunately, they have already succeeded - at least in part - in that endeavour.

I cannot see why so many 'ordinary people' (aren'tcha just sick of THAT term? :rolleyes:) still vote for these creeps. :mad:

13. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Possibly the lack of a viable alternative.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I had to look up that reference. How does Bromton Cocktail differ from laudanum? I wouldn't use either because of an election but it would be nice to have it available if one was dying of a painful terminal disease. A year or two ago s famous playright did a TV interview in which he used a mixture of prescribed opiates and Champers to make the interview possible. That was dying with class.

15. peterba

So the media keep telling us... :rolleyes: But since the media comprises a bunch of jumped-up t*ssers, we are free to ignore them, and make up our own minds. :)

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  16. Craig20264

I do, and I still haven't heard any viable arguments, and after being a Labour voter all my life I'm not sure i can ever trust them again after Blair. I'm embarrassed to admit that I helped him into power.

17. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I'm hoping June will see the end of May.

18. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Indeed, because Corbyn is the mirror image of Blair. :rolleyes:

Terrywoodenpic and Scphoto like this.
  19. peterba

I can understand this, but the party certainly is no longer the 'party of Blair'. If - despite this - you still can't trust them, then as a lifelong Labour voter, surely you wouldn't prefer May and her shower of crooks in power? o_O:confused:

Like it or not, realistically, it's between the two main parties (hung Parliament aside, of course), so I would suggest that punishing Labour because of a lasting dislike of a former leader, isn't going achieve anything positive.

20. Craig20264

Agreed, and my vote certainly won't be cast as a grudge vote, but I'm afraid I really can't see Corbyn as a leader. My vote will be based on the manifesto pledges. Lies, most of them probably, but what else do I have to go on?