1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focusing

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Stephen Platt, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Stephen Platt

Stephen Platt New Member

Hello

I am doing some close up photography and have a Nikon D3200, my eyesight is not at its best and the Liveview is quite small so focusing is difficult. I have been using Digicamcontrol and Smart Shooter tethering software on my laptop but the picture quality is not as sharp as Liveview. Does anyone have any recommendations for improving the picture quality or recommend a different type of screen/monitor that will help.

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You can use the '+' button to zoom in once in Live View mode. Then use manual focus to get it sharp. Hope that helps.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought what you saw with tethering software was the direct sensor output. If it looks unsharp on a big screen then either focus is off or you are at the limit of what the lens can deliver. It may be that you are seeing the full aperture view, try stopping down. The liveview screen probably looks sharper because everything is closer together.

5. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

May seem a daft question, but are you wearing reading glasses to view live view?

6. Stephen Platt

Stephen Platt New Member

thanks for your replies, yes I do wear glasses but liveview is a bit small so I am using tethering software to increase the size of the image

7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Liveview shows you the end picture.
    Your tethering software may show you the raw image from the sensor, which will not be as sharp as the finished product.
    Do you have Lightroom? This supports tethering, so you could take the shot directly and see whether what you see on screen is what you get (shoot Raw plus JPEG).

8. Stephen Platt

Stephen Platt New Member

Hi

thanks for the reply, as far as I am aware Lightroom does not support Nikon D3200 cameras

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I just checked, and it is Nikons fault, as their SDK doesn't support D3xxx cameras

10. Stephen Platt

Stephen Platt New Member

yes ...it is the case with a lot of tethering software