1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus stacking software

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Recently I have been playing around with focus stacking for macro, using a focusssing rack and Zerene Stacker.

I am pretty impressed with the 30 day trial of Zerene stacker, which I downloaded because I had heard it was one of the best. However, are there any other software options I should try out before I part with my pennies, bearing in mind that I am using a rack, and not differential focussing?

Suggetsions more than welcome, as long as they have a trial period!

2. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Hours in photoshop?

Might rake out some old stacked shots and have a play with new software too though....see if it's any better these days.

4. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

There is a free prog called CombineZP (http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZP/News.htm)

It is off-puttingly simple but works for me better than many others I've tried! I just use the auto settings so all I need do is select the files in the right order and click go. Worth a look.

5. SqueamishOssifrage

Very interesting. I see that the 10 images that you stacked appear to have the same size and perspective. How were these images taken? I presume by varying focus.

I am not sure that it would be of use to me, because it appears to be pointed toward smaller images, obtained through a microscope. Also, the licence terms appear to point solely towards research.

6. SqueamishOssifrage

Thanks, definitely worth a look, and I got quite excited about it, after I read about how it works. However, it kept on crashing on me, despite running it in compatibilty mode for Windows XP SP2 - I am using Win 7/64 bit.

I suspect the problem is that my trial stack consists of 25 139MB 16 bit TIFs, or about 3.5GB of data. As a 32 bit program, it can only 'see' 4GB, and it still needs space for the program itself. My old CS3/32 bit limits the image space to 3255MB. I usually give my CS4/64 bit about 8GB to play with, and I gave Zerene Stacker 10GB for the trial.

...so I guess in my original post I should have included the caveat 'also must be 64 bit'! :eek:

7. SqueamishOssifrage

Not while there's still beer in the 'fridge! ;)

So far, I haven't found anything better than Zerene Stacker, so it's worth downloading the trial, and the licence is pretty reasonable too, for a rather well written bit of software.

If you checked it out quickly, you might even get 'Er indoors' to get it for you as a(nother) Christmas present. :cool:

8. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

If I remember, and it's how I would do it if I were doing it now, is a tripod and focusing each shot further down the warthog.