1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus on Imaging Show axed after 24 years

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, May 31, 2013.

1. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

And you still haven't updated your profile - next job?

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Then again, I used to live in Brum. Personal anecdotes are one thing, but the plural of 'anecdotes' is not 'data'. My sole point in the post quoted was that London is not impossible for car drivers if they are willing to consider public transport..

Cheers,

R.

3. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Hi Roger,

Almost nothing is impossible - just some journeys are more practical than others. The Motor Show, Crufts, etc have migrated to NEC. If you are chasing visitors there has to be a reason why those shows made the same choice.

London is somewhere to admire on the telly.:)

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

ADMIRE?

Air's a bit thin over vor to Lunnon too. Inhibits brain development, y'know...

Cheers,

R.

5. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

If it takes exactly the same amount of time to drive to Gloucester as to Birmingham International you could shave an hour off the time by driving to Birmingham International and getting the London train from there - if you get a fast one, it's only 1 hour, 10 minutes :D

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Precisely.

If you cannot afford to visit.

Which is really my major point. Purpose of travel. Cost of travel.

Who is FOCUS intended to be for?

If it is mostly for pros, then like it or not, London is the place to hold the show. Manchester would be a distant second, with Leeds or maybe Newcastle even further behind.

If it is for the general photographic public, then the place to do it is where they are. You might get them to travel to the NEC, certainly FOCUS did and decided - after a few years - to specifically cater for them on the Sunday. I understand this was very successful for a few years.

Obviously not that successful to keep Mary Walker wanting to continue the show.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Roger,
    Of all the things you have written in your long lifetime this has to be one of the best! :)
    Cheers,
    Oly

8. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Heee heee heee ... and holding the show somewhere in the Andromeda Galaxy wouldn't be impossible for railway passengers with a fully functioning warp drive ;-)