1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus on Imaging Show axed after 24 years

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, May 31, 2013.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

RIP

I picked up a couple of bargains over the last few years, and put some 'faces to names' of folk I'd only ever met online... A very enjoyable day out.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Bit of a shock :(

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

No surprise here. :(

We have got to get the cost of living (& working) reduced - drastically - in the UK otherwise we are going to be losing more & more.

It's another TINA moment for Government ...

5. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

I'm sure I'll kick myself... but "TINA"?

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

A lot of people took Focus in Imaging for granted, without realizing what an immense amount of work Mary put in to it. Its absence is going to leave a BIG hole in the UK market. Where else could you get your hands on that much kit, and see what it feels like? I was at the first Focus, and the last. I'll miss it.

Cheers,

R.

7. Roger Hicks

There Is No Alternative.

Not sure what that means in this context, though.

Cheers,

R.

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Back in March, I said after visiting the show:
    "It will be interesting to see what happens next year; with so few big retailers selling kit this year, is the writing on the wall, or can the show be re-invented next year? Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Pentax.... you should be ashamed of yourselves for not being there. Olympus: must try harder."
    and
    "This is one concern that I have. For the first time I can remember, the (very thin) FoI catalogue does not have dates in it for next year's event. Maybe the major electronics companies will exhibit more at "electronic imaging" or consumer electronic shows, and leave FoI to a slow, painful death? I hope not"

Olybacker agreed:
    "It could be that this will be one of the last Focus shows: if the economy remains depressed and if travel continues to escalate in cost and if costs in general escalate due to inflation and/or Government behest, then FoI may be doomed."

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?105050-Focus-on-Imaging-2013/page2

Time for someone to do the re-inventing?

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  9. 0lybacker

Please ... no self harm: yes, it's 'There Is No Alternative'.

She's only been dead & in the ground a few weeks and you've forgotten one of the Iron Lady's other nicknames?!!

10. 0lybacker

Think economics.

Cost of organising (doing anything, for that matter) is continually rising - has been for decades, driven in large part by taxation and the perceived or misunderstood need for 'big government'. Problem is that it continually hampers business with negative influences and the inevitable boom & busts.

We could be, both in the UK & western Europe, sitting - economically - at the top of a long slope of scree, which we will now slide down at varying speeds but always in a decline in comparison to the rest of the world.

You shouldn't need me to spell out how that affected FOCUS but if you do, I'll do it next week when I might have a bit more time.

Oly:)

11. 0lybacker

When we were last in the economic doo-doo (late '80s/early '90s) the dealer show was reinvented, but in slightly flashier form and often not on shop premises. Seem to recall LCE were at the forefront. Also recall my club took part in at least one when it was in a favourable location. {We supplied some photo displays & extra enthusiasm!}

Camera makers now do dealer days. Problem is dealers have been disappearing from the High Streets and are likely to continue to do so ...

... unless there is a drastic re-think and action on the part of national & local Government. Didn't listen much but BBC R4's You & Yours was covering this subject this week & next.

Likely future is already available on some makers' w/sites: IIRC at Nikon's you can take a virtual 360 degree tour of new cameras.

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I've only gone to the last three Focus shows, but my impression was that it was more consumer orientated than professional.

Certainly, this year there were no seminars that grabbed my attention, though I could have missed them because the website was awful and made it incredible hard to find out what was going on and when. I've heard that the SWPP events tend to have better seminars etc.

There's no doubt a market for a more professional orientated event. I don't suppose anyone fanices organising one here do they? :D

13. Roger Hicks

Well, I'd draw the exact opposite conclusion from the same facts. "Boom and bust" is what happens when you go for "light touch" regulation, because it encourages hysterical markets and vicious selfishness. Also, a focus on profits instead of employment is a recipe for disaster. In this specific case, I've been to Focus a lot, and I've known Mary a long time, and I just don't recognize the role of 'big government' here. So I don't think we're going to agree at all on this one.

Cheers,

R.

14. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I do a lot of work online and used to attend quite a few shows a year - now most have stopped and those that are still running probably won't be for much longer as they are trying to please too many markets to maximise returns

15. Roger Hicks

This seems extremely likely, and it is, I suggest, part of the 'race to the bottom' that was triggered by the abolition of retain price maintenance in 1964. Yes, it gave us lower prices; but it also destroyed jobs by greatly favouring big discounters, and if you don't have a job, you can't afford to buy much.

The other factor is atomization. People are happy to sit in front of their computers and waste hours trying to save relatively trivial amounts of money -- £10 on a £500 airline ticket, for example -- but not to go into the high street, take an enjoyable look in a couple of camera shops and then buy in one of those camera shops. What they forget is that 'disruptive' technologies are actually proud of destroying jobs.

It was a long, slow snowball effect, and Focus on Imaging is just one of the latest casualties. People go for quantity rather than quality: more and more cheap possessions, and less and less time to enjoy the possessions they have.

Cheers,

R.

16. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Hold on, no-one's said that Focus is being canned because it wasn't an economically viable concern. There's nothing to say that a new player couldn't come in and run a more successful photographic trade show.

The advent of the online discounter makes Focus and similar shows even more relevant as the opportunity to see and try out kit becomes increasingly limited by the closure of local shops.

17. Roger Hicks

Exactly. But too many manufacturers are too short-sighted to fund them, and the big discounters are too mean. Who is willing to pay?

Cheers,

R.

18. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

I think the current "Road Show" that Olympus are doing with the New PEN, is the way to go. It brings people back into the high street stores and with the right incentives could add to sales.

The big shows were becoming a tired format. However Olympus did well at the SWPP Convention, earlier this year, in presenting the products in an interesting and different way to the others.

The "Playground" in Berlin was inspired thinking and similar things to showcase new and existing products would do well in the UK.

The new Nikon Centre of Excellence looks very good and if you have the money then there is always things such as:

http://www.handsonahasselblad.com/

http://www.leica-storemayfair.co.uk/

19. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

The old shows were the best! I much prefer the smaller shows nowadays, such as the Calumet Open days and the like........I did not go to many Focus shows as I always seemed to be on my holidays..I could never get the hang of some of the people on the stands coming up with the same statement, you must use this and you must use that........

20. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

So where do I go to see a selection of Nikon lenses and then buy one at a reasonable price off Amazon?

High street retailing of this stuff is dead. I reckon we will go with some version of the Apple model; they don't care if you don't buy the product in the store.

Similarly, my son looked at Go-pros at a diving show. Go-pro weren't even selling them there, only demonstrating. He actually bought at Argos - a pre-internet Amazon!

So more showcase shows and purchase on the 'net will be with us soon; this seems to be a good opportunity for some other exhibition company.