1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Focus on Imaging - (new thread extracted from Adaptoprs)

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I am going there this Sunday. Sadly Pentax are not there.

I fail to see how a Company as well known as Pentax can see any sense in not attending such a well attended event if they are serious about expanding their market share.

It is a shame, as they now have possibly the best lens line up ever with the Limited range, I understand they are the envy of many other brands.

I am very reluctant to buy into them because they are APS-C as I understand and will be useless when Pentax finally come up with a FF body. I have four excellent Pentax autofocus lenses which are FF, some from the film era.

28-105 f/4-5.6 power zoom.
    50mm f/1.7
    70-210 f/4 one touch zoom
    100mm macro f/2.8

and the Sigma 100-300 f/4 (with 1.4x and 2x TC).

My only APS-C are the Sigma 10-20 and the 17-70.

I must be honest ans say I will be looking closely at the Nikon stand.

Is anyone else going and what do you look forward to seeing the most?

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi David,

FWIW, if I were to switch from Pentax I would go to Nikon. Whether or
    not, it would be to Full Frame or not, I don't know ..... but, probably not ;).

Why, Nikon, one reason is because they still have local (YVR) servicing and, secondly, because of their compatibility with older lenses. Although, truth be told, my manual focussing abilities ain't what they used to be :(. Another reason is that Nikon has some very decent primes -- definitely on par with the Pentax primes :) But, so far, Pentax has yet to disappoint me picture wise although I can't say the opposite is true ;), so I'll remain with 'em :)

Cheers and have fun at FAI :D

Jack

3. Gromit

Gromit RIP

I'll be at the show myself on Sunday with some friends. It would have been great to see Pentax there but it's not the end of the world.

To me a good camera is all about the handling and the results it can produce, not the market share. I get plenty of chance to use Nikon and Canon cameras, including FF, but still find that Pentax suits me better.

Without wanting to start another heated debate between the APS-C and Full-Frame brigade, I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference in the majority of shots. Many reviews have put the Pentax K-5 IIs almost on par with FF, so Pentax must be doing something right. Maybe they view the market differently to other makers, and that's why they haven't rushed into FF. Of course, if you have the money, they do have the 645D ;) So if it's all about sensor size then that would be better again than FF.

I won't be looking for anything in particular at the show, just a general browse.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'll also be there on Sunday.
    It is sad that Pentax, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic won't be there.
    Olympus are there but under an assumed name (something like big dog and the OM-D). Not quite sure how the smaller selling brands are going to keep people interested in their products with so few retail outlets open; would have thought that they would take the opportunity to make their products well-known at events such as "Focus"; I;m sure that most of them were there a few years back. Hope they are not in a viscious downward circle - no money to have a stand, declining sales due to lack of brand awareness/recognition, even less money to spend on stands at events, even less brand awareness etc etc.

What am I looking forward to most?
    Toss-up between Camera World having some good deals, and hands-on with the Nikon D7100 which I see is already available on pre-order at under £1000

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. Gromit

Gromit RIP

I've just noticed this post on Pentax Facebook page

"In the past, we have used the Focus on Imaging show to launch a whole host of new products, however the timing this year doesn’t quite fit in with our plans.

Don’t worry though, we still plan to make lots of exciting announcements throughout 2013.

Thank you

PENTAX UK"

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:cool:

Jack

7. Monobod

That sounds promising. My reasons for wanting full frame are all to do with shallow depth of field and the ability to crop more with a larger pixel count. For example, a lot of my images are used for projection as 1400x1050. In PS I can create a crop box 1400x1050 at 100% and move this around to where I want. Very useful for birds in flight for example. The more pixels in the image the tighter the crop can be without interpolation. The alternative is longer and more expensive lenses. :(

I shouldn't be too hard to spot at FOI as I may well be carrying a Pentax. :D

Regarding the functionality, I do agree that my K-5 handles beautifully and leaves nothing to be desired in the build quality department either. The ability to go from Program to Av or Tv with the two control wheels is a blessing, as is the sensitivity mode which leaves me free to pick shutter and aperture.

My glances at Nikon are just that really, can't see me changing just yet.

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

ISTR that Pentax have said that a full frame DSLR is under development. See this interview by PentaxForums at the CP+ show last month.

Of course, even if a FF body is under development, it might not make it to market - remembering how the 645D was on-off-on-off-on - even if it does, it's probably at least a year away.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  9. Monobod

Yes, very true, but a year would be helpful in giving time to swell the piggy bank and justify another change of body so soon after the K-5, which I'm sure I would keep for some time after anyway.

One possible thing holding them back could be the need to support a FF body with more FF lenses. Most of the current line up are APS-C of course. Depending on how many pixels they choose, there could be issues with the suitability of legacy glass to the higher resolution, but that may be a false worry. I am thinking of the Nikon D800, that needs the best Nikon lenses to perform at its best.

Time will tell.

10. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the Limited range ( with the possible exception of the 77 ) were all FF compatible ?

Likewise , though , I already have a good inventory of lenses from the film era , and don't own a single APSC lens .

11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Its full name is FA 77mm f/1.8 Ltd, so it should cover full frame - the "FA" bit.

However, there are some Limiteds that are DA, i.e. only cover a crop frame sensor, such as the DA 21/3.2 Ltd. and the DA 40/2.8 Ltd.

12. Monobod

From looking at the list on the Pentax site these are the only Limited lenses that are full frame as far as I know:

31mm f/1.8 FA AL
    43mm f/1.9 FA
    77mm f/1.8 FA

There are a few others:

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4 SMC FA, 50mm f/2.8 D FA Macro, 100mm f/2.8 D-FA Macro.

Not enough, I would suggest, to support a top notch FF body. Nothing with a longer reach than 100mm. :(

13. Monobod

Spent the day with a friend at Focus yesterday. We arrived about 9:45 and parked easily, just a medium walk to the hall. I thought the event was an improvement on last year and there were quite a few special offers and bargains to be had. Interesting to see that dealers there had good stocks of the Lee Big Stopper 10 stop ND filter, after such long waiting lists.

14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Just got back from FOI. Think everyone went today. It was VERY busy.

*Nowhere at all did I see the 'PENTAX' logo. Very sad really.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  15. Gromit

Gromit RIP

During my visit on Sunday I heard quite a few people saying that they wouldn't bother going next year. Main reason appeared to be that there was nothing really new, and that a number of exhibitors were slowly dropping out. Pentax were only one of many manufacturers that didn't go, and most of the larger retailers were missing too.

It did however seem to be just as busy as previous years.

16. Monobod

There were some bargain offers though. Did I mention that I bought three 50 sheet packs of A3 Tecco Lustre paper for £126.00 (usually £150) and was given a Grafilite daylight lamp free from Colour Confidence. These are usually about £45. All in all a pretty good deal.

This paper by the way works on Epson Pro printers (mine is the Pro 3800) and uses the Epson Semi-Glossy profile. It is a bright white paper with a very fine eggshell finish, great for both colour and monochrome.