1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus on Imaging 2013

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by IvorETower, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I made my visit this morning, and for the first time ever, came away without being given/offered any form of bag. I had the feeling that tripods and similar weren't as much in evidence as in recent years.

As I half expected the sales offers this year on Canon DSLRs & lenses didn't attract me at all.

What did I see of interest?
    a) Cutaway models on the Canon stand

b) New style advanced amateur HD camcorder from JVC (GC-PX100) - too new for pricing etc.to be known at this time, but looks interesting with its accessible manual controls etc. and could compete with Panasonic's sub £1,000 offerings.

c) Some B&W prints demonstrating that some inkjet prints still have a long way to go! (To save embarrassment, I won't mention the stand, but I really was surprised at how poor the demo print was. Yes, it was a neutral grey, but the tones seemed to sit differently on the paper, depending on their tone. (Metamerism?) Other surfaces (of the same image) were much better.)

Let's hope that next year's is better!

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Or at more local, dealer based events ... while there are still dealers left?

It could be that this will be one of the last Focus shows: if the economy remains depressed and if travel continues to escalate in cost and if costs in general escalate due to inflation and/or Government behest, then FoI may be doomed.

What impression did you form of visitor numbers?

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

It's years since I went and endured the crowds on a Sunday, and I felt that "visitor numbers" for a weekday were broadly similar to most of my earlier visits, in that at lunch time there were no tables spare! (i.e. outside the closed-off restaurant area). I hated the smell of roasting popcorn which was very pervasive - how that's permitted without a dedicated extractor fan I've no idea. It tends to keep me away from cinemas as well, but at least there, the smell is contained.

It was pretty congested near the main stands, and there seemed to be good attendance at the "How to" demos. I didn't see any "models" wandering loose, away from their stands i.e. no cat-suited lasses or hunky males, and the one model I did spot on a lighting demo was a total "Gothic" turn off for me.

With regard to local dealer hosted shows, I just wish there were still some local dealers - if only Jessops hadn't over stretched themselves! At the moment in Milton Keynes (with a population of >220,000 and rising) we have no photo shops at all (The Calumet HQ only offers a pick-up desk), and the sizeable music shops both went some years ago.

On my journey home, I enjoyed my visit to the Midlands Aviation Museum at Coventry - lots of nostalgia!

4. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't make it. I collected Tim, crossed under the A1 and then my gear box gave up the ghost. I got a ride in a big truck, but that didn't compensate for not going to Focus. I love camera shows and did my best to get there. I couldn't go today as the magazine goes to press today - a day early because we have a free gift this week.

5. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

This is going to absolutely slay you. The only free bag I was given was by a very nice lady on the Minox GB stand B19 who made a point of coming up to me and giving me a very smart black canvas bag containing catalogues for the full range of Cullmann tripods.

6. thornrider

Like you I too saw no attractive women on the stands at Focus 2013. In fact I particularly didn't notice this one on the Billingham stand. :D

[​IMG][/IMG]

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

The only one I saw was presumably sponsored by Olympus, and was messing about on the escalators up to the skywalk, with a couple of "pro" photographers taking shots. I just managed to grab a shot myself but she's almost hidden by the glass
    [​IMG]

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Impressive as Billingham weren't meant to be there according to the organisers! ;):eek:

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

her shoes appear to be too large for her....

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

That's cos she wasn't on the Billingham stand, she was with James Madelin (chap in the light blue top) from Enlight. :cool:

11. thornrider

Oh no so she wasn't - I see what you mean!

[​IMG][/IMG]