1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus on Imaging 2013

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by IvorETower, Feb 4, 2013.

1. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Registered today - will go Monday 4th March

2. Gromit

Gromit RIP

I should be there on Sunday, but only because some colleagues are going.

Over the years there seems to be fewer and fewer stands, with manufacturers and retailers slowly dropping out. I keep hoping there's going to be something new and interesting, but it rarely happens :(

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

What kind of discounts are there? I cannot go this year, too busy, but if they did discount expensive lenses by enough then it might be interesting future idea if the trip could pay for itself.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I expect this year will be different to previous years in which Jacobs and Camera World seemed to be competing against each other. With Jacobs no longer there to compete, I expect the discounts on Camera World's normal shop prices will be smaller, perhaps even non-existent.

With regard to previous years, 3 years ago I bought a Canon EF 70-200 F4L IS from Jacobs at a significantly lower price (~10% from memory) than I could find offered on the web; and similarly when I bought my Eos 5D Mark II two years ago. I never found a cheaper price until Canon brought out the 5D Mark III. Other stalls may compete on one or two lines, but the Jacobs versus Camera World discounting was in depth across the range of current Canon, Nikon, & Sigma products.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

6. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

I will be there Monday..........

7. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested I'll be tweeting* price lists for those tempted to spend. You can find them on www.twitter.com/kebabselector

*subject to 3G working in the NEC

8. njb

njb Member

Going on Tuesday and looking forward to it...for no other reason than it's now the biggest annual photographic event in the UK. :)

9. thornrider

What no-one been to Focus today - no reactions? Good? Bad?

10. IvorETower

Just got home. Will eat and post later.

Edit: posting this from my smartphone as I eat. I became an AP subscriber at the show and have a very nice NG shoulder bag to show for it

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  11. Scphoto

It was busy, not much discount wise - but certainly for Canon there were plenty of bundles. I was looking to get an Eos 6d, price was £1599 but advertised with the upcoming canon cash back - £100 - see more here --> http://twitpic.com/http://twitpic.com/c8bsfz. Though 2 retailers were bundling the official grip free. Having seen the size of the grip I'm not overly convinced its comfortable at all (and I often prefer grips).

In preparation for the 6d I did pick up a couple of 32gb SD cards. Was hoping to look at some lighting stuff, but because a lady was showing a bit of ankle the camera club outing made if tough work.

After 15 years of going still can't figure out why half of the attendees have there camera proudly on display.

12. Malcolm_Stewart

You've surely answered your own question - cameras like ankles.

13. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Is that studio tog Andrew Sydenhem I spy... Ms Nadine and Roger Hicks please make room ;)

14. IvorETower

Plenty of ex-Jessops and maybe ex-Jacobs Nikon graded refurbished stock on Calumet and Camera World's stands (think there was similar Canon stuff too but as I'm not a Canon DSLR owner I didn't note down any offers). Seemingly identical prices from the few sample items I was looking at, eg 50mm f/1.4 AF-S for £225, D7000 £500.
    A few D600's and D800's also at discounted refurbed rates.
    Camera World offers include Panasonic stuff: GF-3 + 14-42 lens at £199, GF5 + 14mm pancake also at £199, GF5 + 14-42 at £250, GX1 + 14-42 PZ lens at £399.

The show was busy when I arrived at about 11:45am, and there were already no bags available at the entrance :-( all gone, but Nikon had plenty on their stand.
    I got a hands-on with the D7100 after just a few seconds waiting; last year I had to have 3 attempts plus a 20-minute wait to try the D800. Canon had a huge stand, maybe 2 stands close together, and an upstairs section to try out their tele lenses. It appears that only Nikon and Canon were represented from the major manufacturers. Olympus had a small presence, but in the form of the Big Dog and the OM-D seminar-type area, no counter with cameras or lenses on display and no staff wandering around (like last year) with their other cameras for you to try out.

I had been saving up to buy "stuff" at the show but came away with very little since prices were on a par with the usual shop prices; I'd rather buy locally (or on a visit to London) under less crowded conditions than buy for the same price at Focus; who knows, there may even be deals in the run-up to Easter at the end of the month.

One thing's for certain from what I saw at the show; there is plenty of reclaimed stock from retailers that have gone to the wall in the past few months, that has to be sold one way or another.

Some of the minor aisles were very quiet; when I signed up for subscription on the AP stand there was just one other "customer" in discussion with the staff; no sign of "Mr DD" himself, just promotional ladies.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year; with so few big retailers selling kit this year, is the writing on the wall, or can the show be re-invented next year? Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Pentax.... you should be ashamed of yourselves for not being there. Olympus: must try harder.

Wish I'd had the time and money to have gone back and bought a Samyang 7.5mm fish-eye in MFT fit for £210 ( and wish I could have remembered who was selling it ! )

15. Malcolm_Stewart

That's pretty depressing news but somewhat in line with my fears expressed in this thread earlier.

In recent years, I've made my major purchases at F-o-I, and they've been new Canon stock, not refurb, at a decent discount. And made the trip from Milton Keynes worth while. As you say, I expect the re-captured stock from Jacobs and Jessops has to enter our food-chain somehow. I had hoped that WEX or Park Cameras might have filled the void, but could find very few camera stores listed on the F-o-I website.

Could "Panasonic, Sony, Samsung," be doing their promotion at more electronics based shows?

16. IvorETower

This is one concern that I have. For the first time I can remember, the (very thin) FoI catalogue does not have dates in it for next year's event. Maybe the major electronics companies will exhibit more at "electronic imaging" or consumer electronic shows, and leave FoI to a slow, painful death? I hope not

17. thornrider

Its Monday 4th March and I have just got back from Focus 2013. Arrived after a very easy journey at 9.45 am so went in at opening time. 3 hours was enough to go right round twice and have lunch. Lots and lots of people there from 12 noon onwards.

Nikon, Canon, Calumet, and Cameraworld were the biggest presence and they did everyone proud with the commitment they put in. The photo editing software companies were excellent with their continuous demonstrations - as were the studio lighting folks.

There was a lot of gear on show including refurb cameras at virtually new prices (D600 new £1299 and refurb £1275) but the show offers were either the same or worse prices than everyday shop prices in general.

GMC Publications had an excellent and well staffed stand which had all their magazines and books in a well lit easy to access area.

My only real disappointment I am afraid was Amateur Photographer. I eventually found the stand in the "cheap seats" at the back. In the three hours I was there there were no AP editorial or technical staff to meet other than a pleasant enough man who had a badge saying he was Andrew Sydenham and I now know is listed as Studio Manager, and several agency girls selling goody bags. My opinion of the AP stand was that it was shabby - said nothing at all about AP - very disappointing to have to say this. Saw no other Forum members and Mr Sydenham said he had met none. As per Mr DD's invitation to "come and meet us on the AP stand" (page 51 of last weeks AP) this was frankly a hollow suggestion.

18. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

I went today Monday and enjoyed it so much I am going back tomorrow Tuesday......

19. IvorETower

I wish that I had the time and money to take Wednesday off work and go again.
    However I'll put the train fare for the second hypothetical trip towards some more photo goodies to be purchased locally !

Anyone know if there are any further bargains on Wednesday afternoons as the exhibitors try to sell off rather than having to pack away to return to their home bases ?

20. Scphoto

I meet him, but didn't introduce myself as a forum member.