1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus on Imaging 2013

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by IvorETower, Feb 4, 2013.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Less than 4 weeks to go, and I've not seen a thread on it yet.
    Sun 3 March to Wed 6th at the NEC. I'm planning on going on Sunday but have Monday booked off work just in case. As usual, there will be track works on the railways coming up from the South West and central South (around the Oxford area).
    At the moment, "no shows" include Panasonic, Pentax, Sony and Olympus. Floor space looks to be similar to last year (and therefore considerably down from 2011 and earlier).
    So who else plans on going, and from the staffers, any indication of who will be on the stand each day for a casual chat?

2. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

I'm going down with a few friends on Monday. Chance to drool over gear i can't justify spending money on! ;)

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

When has that ever stopped anyone?:D

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'll almost certainly be there one of the days - which depends on lots of factors.

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Just a coincidence, I hope, that is they who have had big losses in the last year or so ...

:eek:

6. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

Good point!

7. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

How good is Focus on Imaging 2013? I haven't been to this before.

The web site pictures and the list of attendees make it look a bit sparse. I went to both the Cycling Show, and the Classic Car Show, at the end of last year at NEC. The car show was spread over about 8 halls and was brilliant - could have stayed there for two days. The Cycle Show was in in one hall and most of the stands were tiny market stall affairs - almost no cycling clothing and just a few big name bike brands.

Focus on Imaging 2103 at the moment looks as sparse as the Cycle Show which may make £10 car park fee look high priced for maybe the two hours the show might support.

Any feedback ?

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

From the floorplan, looks the same as last year despite Jacobs not being there with their usual 3 stands. In other words, one complete hall, and only a very small part of another, a far cry from my first venture there about 5 years ago when it was 2 complete halls. I hope that this isn't the beginning of the end as the recession seems to bite more deeply, keeping many major players away (again).
    There are usually some good deals to be had, not just on cameras (not that many really special offers) but on accessories and bags. For a "show", much of it is geared towards selling to the public rather than just demonstrating what is available in the marketplace. You may see all you want in 2 hours, on the other hand, you could spend 2 hours just waiting in a queue to get your hands on a new camera body being shown for the first time (eg Nikon D800 last year). Incidentally, Sigma are usually there with most, if not all, of their range of lenses so if you want to try one out or compare several, this is a good opportunity.

My ticket has now come and I have been putting money aside to spend at the NEC this year but I wonder if I will actually find what I am looking for at a "realistic" price.

9. 0lybacker

I recall last year's show was given more space a) because the adjacent hall was available, and b) the previous year had had a high attendance on all days and had been overcrowded.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But it didn't have any more space than the previous year, and 2011 had less space than any previous show I had been to - which is a few.

11. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

We'll be going this year unless something unforeseen happens. We've been going as long as I can remember, and have the catalogues (rather than the scars) to prove it.

There are various talks of varying interest and value which can take quite some time. We usually spend a couple of days there, and leave ourselves the option of popping in on a third (we stay up there). It can take a time for me comparing papers, looking at books and (usually) drooling over the LF cameras on the Linhof stand.

We have bought a lot of stuff there over the years - cameras, exposure meters, printers, scanners, books etc. etc. Basically we can see things that never appear in any local shop (and Park Cameras is pretty local to me).

12. 0lybacker

Don't think that accords with what the organisers told us at the time.

13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am seriously considering it - probably on the Monday but will not be able to make a final decision until closer to the event.

Does anyone know whether there are likely to be bargains on Canon cameras there?

Roger

14. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

If you're going on your own park at Hampton In Arden station and hope on the local train for one stop. It might work a fair bit cheaper (assuming you visit on Sunday as the car park is packed Mon-Fri)

I should be there on Sunday - not too sure if I'll buy anything yet - though the Eos 6D is tempting me too much at the moment.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've been a regular attender over many years, and there was a time when I went by train, parking my car at or close to Milton Keynes rail station. However, increasing car park charges in MK, the "bustitution" nonsense during the period when the WCML was being upgraded, and the loss of flexibility in rail ticketing on the WCML got me to investigate driving all the way, which I've enjoyed. However a 25% rise to £10 at NEC does seem a bit stiff, so perhaps I'll use the day to visit Focus Optics near Corley, and then on to the Aviation Museum at Coventry Airport.

Over the years, I have bought quite a lot of gear at F-o-I - the last major purchase being my Eos 5D Mark II from Jacobs two years ago.

16. mrganderson

mrganderson Well-Known Member

Ive bought a few cameras from Jacobs at Focus. Always good deals on offer.
    Its a shame they wont be there anymore. Camera world usually have a good stand and offer good prices.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Agreed on all counts. I see Calumet are roughly where Jacobs were - hope they have similar deals. Not that I'm in the market for anything, I'm saving in case the rumoured Canon 14-24 appears. ;)

18. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

There suppose to be a new camera body around the same time. Higher pixel count. :D

You saving up for that too. :p

Things have been pushed back from 2012 due to production disruption.

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, for a several reasons:

1. It's likely to be a 1 series body, which makes it (a) too expensive and (b) too large - the 6D is absolutely on my sweet spot of size, weight and quality.

2. I don't really need that many pixels, around 20 gives me pretty much what I want, and without diffraction problems, so I can stop down far enough to get enough depth of field.

I wouldn't rule out ever getting a higher MP camera, but it's not any sort of priority for me at the moment.

Mind you, as to the lens, it would have to be really good and ideally allow filter use, as the Sigma 12-24 I've already got is a great lens, and 12mm is as wide as has ever been available in a rectilinear lens

20. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

When we go to the NEC we always park at the train station, its cheaper...