1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus on Imaging 2012

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by IvorETower, Mar 2, 2012.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Very surprising to find that there is nothing on the "Events" calendar, or apparently in "here" yet,
    but
    don't forget FoI 2012 at the NEC starting this Sunday, March 4, until Wednesday 7th.
    I am aiming to go on Sunday but owing to track works yet again on the week-end of FoI, looks like it will be well after mid-day before I arrive despite starting off with the 8:14am train where Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire all meet

2. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

I'll be there on Monday :)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And I'll be there Tuesday - can't make it Monday.

4. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I was hoping to make it during the week, but sadly it looks like a Sunday visit for me.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

A day off work to recover today from yesterday..... as per last year, very crowded on Sunday morning but thinned down after 3pm.
    Best bargain of the show, I think, was/is Panasonic GF3 with kit zoom, brand new for £199. I was tempted but managed to resist as I have too many cameras already!

Nikon have just one D800 on their stand and at my first attempt to get my paws on it, I gave up as the crowds/queue were 3 to 4 deep around that part of the stand, and after 10 minutes I had not made any progress towards it.
    I kept my eyes on the stand and, at around 3:15, I managed to get my hands on it after only about 10 minutes of queueing. It's a bit of a beast, big and heavy but very impressive. However I think I'd need to win the lottery and give up working to justify owning such an amazing piece of technology.

The show floor area seems much reduced compared with recent years, hardly any of Hall 10 is in use and notable missing names are:
    Sony
    Samsung
    Pentax
    Panasonic

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

That's helpful, as I'm hoping to go on Wednesday.

I know Leica aren't listed, but the lack of Sony etc is a bit strange. Presumably they're not interested in enthusiasts?
    :)

7. Alex1994

The GF3 with 14-42 kit lens is £299.99 on Amazon, so some potential for turning a profit!

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Bit silly really I mean even Kodak are there. :confused:

Plus both Pentax and Sony have released new product this year.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Remember, it's a trade show. For pros. Not enthusiasts...

10. P_Stoddart

I don't believe many photographers would class Olympus kit as pro level. But they are there.

I think the E5 is considered semi-pro at best.

Yet the Sony A900 (current flagship) is considered a pro camera.

I think just poor judgment by those companies. :(

Pentax also make the 645D got to be considered pro surely.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Stands are very expensive. Companies have to choose how to spend their marketing budgets, and sometimes, they choose not to spend it on Focus. Pentax I think were too ashamed to show their new monstrosity, so it's an entirely understandable decision for them. ;)

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, they are there, showing off the OM-D to pros. Sorry if things don't fit your categorisation, but that's what was happening today. What are/were your observations of the show?

13. Alex1994

It's not strictly a trade show, although a lot of exhibitors will probably only be of interest to professionals.

From the official website:
    "Whether you are a professional image maker or processor, a buyer of image making equipment or materials, a manufacturer or distributor of products or a keen hobbyist, a visit to FOCUS ON IMAGING is a must."

I'll be going there tomorrow, to see if they're giving anything away! :)

14. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

There was, IIRC, a thread a few years back on ballpoint pens... :)

15. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

I didn't get a pen this year :(

But I did get a nice Colin Prior calendar... AND... it's this years!

16. Alex1994

Yes, the last time I went to a photographic show at the NEC I returned with a number of pens, badges, plastic bags and brochures!

17. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

OT: Focus on Imaging 2012

There's a Brick Lane Balti house I know... the ballpoints are fantastic! :D

No need to travel to Brum for either in my case ;)

18. Alex1994

I'll post what I manage to acquire/blag tomorrow ... :)

19. P_Stoddart

Hopefully you will not think bad of me. :)

I did not go or planning to go. :eek:

Maybe Pentax could not take the the very load laughing that would have been echoing around the hall. :D

But surely we must be surprised at the lack of Sony. They are not exactly that poor and alot of photographers like the A900 etc. Plus they have the NEX7 24MP APS CSC. :confused:

20. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Shall I PM my address to you Alex? ;)