1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flickr, photostream? where to upload photos on holiday

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by kno, May 13, 2014.

1. kno

kno Well-Known Member

I'm going to the states with my iphone (and 650d!) and want to upload photos from my iphone (which has only 1 gig of space) wirelessly on a daily basis 1) to give family in the uk daily access to what I'm doing and 2) so that i can clear my iphone of pictures daily to make room for the next batch.

Some of the important factors are that the destination that I upload the pictures to is easily accessible by family ( with a link + password maybe) and that I can then download the pictures to my hard drive back home a month later.

Has anyone gone through this thought process and come up with a solution. I don't want to use Facebook. I have a flickr account and iCloud/photostream.

david

2. Donkey

Donkey Well-Known Member

Dropbox.

3. kno

kno Well-Known Member

Thanks for the dropbox suggestion. i've installed it on my phone, mac etc. would I be correct assuming that my family (not computer savvy) will have to install dropbox to see photos I upload?

4. Donkey

Donkey Well-Known Member

You log in to your account on the mac and go to file sharing...

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

6. Donkey

Donkey Well-Known Member

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Donkey//flickr, photostream? where to upload photos on hols

Yowza …what lens did ya have on?

Cheers,

Jack

8. Donkey

Donkey Well-Known Member

Re: Donkey//flickr, photostream? where to upload photos on hols

Shooting with my D60 and 55-200 kit lens.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Flickr should be Ok. It can get a bit busy sometimes for uploading from a free account. I have a pro subscription and have never had a problem. You can limit access to family, friends or friends and family as well as public.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I use Dropbox (although increasingly WeTransfer) to supply images to clients but it might not be that user friendly for any less than computer-savvy family members. You would create an account and once you'd done that, create a folder for sharing to which you upload your images. You then 'invite' or 'share' the file with an email address or addresses and send a message to them to say that they can see the folder. They would need to sign up to Dropbox as well. The images can then be viewed there by anyone who has sharing access and of course when you get home you can download them to a computer for safer more long term storage. I'm not sure what the limit is on file storage but if you're going to be sending vast amounts of images you might end up exceeding it before you get home again. Possibly.

Flickr would be a more user-friendly way for your family to access the pictures - assuming you just want them to be able to see them and not necessarly have them download the images? (They could - if you set it up that way.) I've never used it as a storage option myself, just as a kind of exhibition/portfolio space because I am not sure what Flickr does to your files in terms of compression. However I believe you can pretty much upload unlimited images - if there's a restriction I think it's something like 1TB which is massive.

If I were you I'd do both. Upload to Dropbox to store things until I got home, and share with friends and family on Flickr.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

This thread is over 3 years old...

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

So it is. Here's hoping they sorted out an acceptable solution then.