1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing up Sky Q modem to a PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Louise, May 20, 2019.

1. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I've been upgraded to fibre broadband and would like to know how to put the correct wires into the sockets etc to get on line?

I'm disabled and not technically minded.

Many thanks.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Hi Louise
    Do you know if your PC is capable of connecting wirelessly to the internet- did it work like that in the past? If the answer is yes then you shouldn't need cables.
    If not then if you used your computer with a cable to connect to a router previously then you can just use the same cable to connect to the new router.

3. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Just had an old bog standard upright modem with SKY written on the side in silver letters. Got new cables with this new modem, just use old micro splitter. Is it easy to fix up please?

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Yes. On the back of your modem should be sockets for cables labelled ethernet. Use your old cable to connect to one of these sockets, it doesn't matter which one (there's usually 3 or 4).

5. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Hi thanks for your reply, been told that the old cables won't work with fibre?

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Not sure about that, but if you try one of the old cables and it doesn't work, then you need to use a new cable.
    The fibre usually refers to the cable coming either from a cable in the road or the old fashioned telephone cable which connect to the modem. Your own old cables should still work

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Let's clear away the confusion...
    1. You need a cable to connect the modem to the phone point. If the phone point is fibre you need an optical cable and if not you can use the old copper cable.
    2. You can connect your computer to the modem either with WiFi or with a USB cable. WiFi is easier but you'll need the modem password which should have come in the box. If you connect with a cable you shouldn't need a password.
    More help can be found here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/download-sky-broadband-user-manuals

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have Sky Q. One cable goes from your telephone wall socket into the back of the modem/router (it'll only go in one socket). That is all you need, unless you are connecting anything else to it. If just wife nothing else is needed (other than power obviously). Turn it on until it sets itself up then search for it on your computer. On the base of the modem/router will be it's name and password.
    Do you have Sky Q TV boxes too?

It will still need the filter on the wall socket end unless your phone socket has one built in.

9. dream_police

The modem/router should come with a phone cable and filter anyway.

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

There are 2 ethernet ports on the back of a SkyQ modem, so you can still do a wired connection.

11. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Do you have Sky Q TV boxes too?

No only the modem. Got the box fixed up, only now the stupid mouse keeps cursor freezing. I've rebooted twice, how do I sort the mouse freezing problem please?

12. dream_police

It is years since I last used a mouse. Try putting it in a different USB port, could the mouse be dirty underneath or some dirt or grit on the mat or table perhaps which is causing it to freeze the cursor. It could always be the mouse itself is faulty. I doubt they are expensive. There maybe more technical reasons within the computer itself but I’ve not got a clue about that.

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If its a wireless mouse, then the batteries need changing.

14. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

It's wired, ususually plays up when dashline is upgrading to a newer version. Also tower rattles away to itself.