1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting a SONY M/A fitting lens to K5iis

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Shovelheadstroker77, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Shovelheadstroker77

Shovelheadstroker77 Active Member

Hi - I have found a SIGMA 170-500MM F5-6.3 APO DG lens at a very good price but it is a SONY M/A FITTING. I have searched online to try and find a SONY M/A FITTING to Pentax camera adaptor but to no avail. So a couple of questions as follows: 1. is such an adaptor made and can anyone post me link to a supplier? 2. What affect does the adaptor have, if any, on the lens's characteristic, due to moving it slightly further from the sensor? thanks Stephen

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

3. Shovelheadstroker77

thanks for the link Frank but I want to fit the lens to Pentax body not a K fit lens to a Sony body - so, in effect need one that does the reverse of this but unfortunately cannot achieve that by just flipping this round. I have pinged the shop at your link to see what they come up. cheers Stephen

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

That's the wrong way around , Frank. It's a Pentax lens to Sony body.

I seem to remember reading that fitting other lenses to a Pentax is a bit of a bugger due to the distance from the lens to the sensor, Pentax has the shortest distance, other lenses are designed for longer ones. mind you, M42 lenses fit.

Either that, or it's the floggle-toggle gear that won't engage.

5. Shovelheadstroker77

if the sensor distance is too close I could always put a ring 1 from a tube in the mix - but need to find that adaptor first of all!

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

As always, SRB-Griturn has the answer. However, it won't control the aperture, never mind AF, so I'm not sure it really helps. I doubt very much if an adaptor to allow electronic aperture control exists - let's be honest, there can't be a huge market for one.

7. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

You are on a hiding to nothing here. The lens register distance for the "K" mount is 45.46 mm whilst that of the Sony lens is 44.6 mm. This means that you would have to move that lens CLOSER to the sensor: an impossible task unless you could find an adapter with a built in lens (acting as a teleconverter). The same problem occurs when trying to fit a Minolta MD Lens (43.72 mm register distance) to Minolta Sony AF Camera. In this case Minolta did make a adapter that gave a ~1.4 x extension and the loss of 1 stop. See:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

Save your money.

8. steveandthedogs

It was a while ago that I read it, so as per usual got it arse about [​IMG]. Either way, it won't work.

9. Shovelheadstroker77

Thanks guys - have a good Sunday- Stephen

10. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

The google link I used seemed to suggest Sony to Pentax. Though the company was the objective and I was somewhat confused as to which went to what and what went to which. Hey I'm easily confused.

11. Shovelheadstroker77

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

13. Shovelheadstroker77

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Hmmmm, not here it doesn't...

EDIT: No, it definitely links to the right page looking at the original post, don't know what's gone wrong your end. :confused:

15. Shovelheadstroker77

something odd going on with posted links then - not that it matters - but if I go to the top of the thread and your original response it shows the link I just re-posted as the one you posted. So are you seeing something different in your original posting?

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've gone into my original post (the benefits of Mod access) and it points to the SRB page. Just checked the link on my phone and it also goes to the SRB page. All very odd.

17. steveandthedogs

Well, I stand corrected! I've been lied to all these years [​IMG].

Be careful, though, it's manual only.