1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Fish 'n) Chips

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Nov 5, 2017.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Tonights version. Schwartz chip seasoning, a little more salt and some pepper. Nice chunky baking wedgies.

IMG_5312.JPG

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I juust thought i'd treat myself in town after a Gallery preview - with fish and chips. They were disgusting!!! Place had changed hands and I'm not sure the ones behind the counter actually knew what fish and chips should look like. :(

3. dream_police

I hate it when that happens. The chippy we use is very good, wins awards etc. They triple cook their chips and are normally very good as is the fish batter, but god knows what went wrong last week. Same owners, same staff inside, but such a let down at eating time. Hope it is better next time.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'll not use that place again, that's for sure. I can think of another one, which used to be the best, but I've a feeling that has changed hands too.. :(

LesleySM likes this.
  5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I do mine in a halogen oven with an air fry ring- no oil needed and they come out very good, friend of mine treated himself to a halogen for his birthday in September and also was very pleasantly surprised by oven chips

Short of making them myself (or triple cooked, which I agree are the best!) they're the best!

6. LesleySM

I heard today the chippy in the square has closed down and my only reaction was surprise it managed to stay open as long as it has! Used to be great, made the local paper every year for the biggest portions of chips. We used to order one large cod and chips and share it and there would be enough for both of us and some cod left over for the cats. Then it changed hands and I haven't used it in years after the first few times

Same thing happened with the other good local chippy. It's getting hard to find a decent chip shop around here they're all fried chicken/kebab places

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Perhaps you tried the expensive cold press stuff. This does smell and taste and not to my taste either. For cooking the hot press olil is better and does not taint the food.
    Cold press olive oil is is perfect for cold use but only suitable for cooking the most delicate of foods at low temperature. It has a high aqueus content and does not reach a good frying temperature without boiling off the water and burning the impurities that make it so good raw.
    Ghee does indeed take a lot of work to make it. It also needs attention during its preparation. I don't make it. I buy it in tins. Beware cheap tinned 'ghee'. The cheap stuff is blended with oil.
    The best ghee that I have not obtained for at least forty years was Kenyan. It was bought in large quantities by their Asian communities.

Perhaps I should try the less expensive hot press olive oil for cooking. I'll give it a try.

8. LesleySM

The proliferation of chicken shops never ceases to amaze me, I have one next door (which also does really good Indian food) and another one 30 second away (Which late at night does a reasonable pizza on the cheap when you're the way home and just need something quick)

Plaistow puzzles me- on one side of the road there are about 30 various food places mostly kebabs/burgers/fried chicken joints interspersed with cafes and Chinese takeaways and they've been there for years apparently all at least making a,living.

I don't think anyone in Plaistow cooks

9. LesleySM

Nige- where do you get chip seasoning? Sounds like something I'd use but never seen it in the shops

10. Learning

[QUOTE="LesleySM, post: 1465659, member: 36482".................... just need something quick)

.............................[/QUOTE]

I usually have something in the house for something quick, but if I didn't and was on my way home, then I could go into our local Co-op (Slightly bigger than the usual convenience corner shop) , buy a bag of pe-prepared stir fry vegetables (several varieties available), a packet of chicken goujons, and a ready chilled bottle of wine. Delay to journey time <3 minutes. Continue home and enjoy some of the plonk while cooking the one wok meal which is ready in less than ten minutes. On the other hand I could wait in the takeaway while they cook an inferior meal at greater cost and without the aperitif. The above recipe is not normal for me because I like cooking, but I am just suggesting that it is just as quick, better, and cheaper to knock something up at home.

11. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Having just had fish n chips in my bedroom, I am not well and don't care if my bed smells the chips were wonderful and the fish was divine. To get them we would have had to drive past two other chippies or three if we were to take a slightly longer route. We didn't go and get them our daughter bought them in for us. I love a good chip but the best ones I have ever had were in Whitby.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Learning

Any supermarket tha sells grossly overpriced Schwartz spices, typically £1.60 for 52 g or two jars for £2. You could blend your own mixture with individual spices from a company like Westmill (Brand rajahspices.co.uk). They are stocked by most Asian food shops.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  13. Learning

That works with sweet 'potatoes' just as well.
    What oil do you use to make the spices stick to the wedges? I use carotino (rapeseed 75% and red palm 25%).

14. dream_police

I got it in Costco. I agree with the Learned one though that Schwartz are normally pricy, but it wasn't expensive from Costco. I normally get my other spices etc from Asian supermarkets. They are massively cheaper than Tesco etc

15. dream_police

If using just salt and pepper and perhaps some fresh rosemary I use olive oil. When I use that type of spice I use vegetable oil.

16. LesleySM

my default easy meal (Not to quick but minimal effort required) is put pan of cold water on with a pinch of salt then open beer and sit down for 5 minutes then chuck a couple of handfuls of pasta in and 5 minutes later add vegetables and if required some roughly chopped Co Op frankfurters or smoked pork sausage along with frozen mixed veg or tinned sweetcorn or whatever takes my fancy

after 5 minutes drain and if I haven't put some meat in I drain off a tin of tuna and mix that in

Then add coarse ground black pepper, chilli and garlic sauce and grated cheese and stir.

It has the added bonus that I eat it from the pan so there is very little washing up afterwards

17. LesleySM

My rule tends to be "Never cook anything that will take you longer to prepare than eat". I don't mind something taking a while to cook usually as I can always do something else whilst it's cooking (I love things like stews and now it's getting colder my slow cooker will come out of its summer hibernation)

Tonight I had some ready prepared roast potatoes, honey roasted parsnips, mushrooms, sprouts and carrots took about an hour to cook and 5 minutes to prepare and was lovely!

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  18. dream_police

Our default easy meal is spaghetti carbonara (the proper one with eggs not the processed cream variety). So simple and quick to make, and TBH better than a lot I have had in so called Italian restaurants.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Very sound priciple. :)

20. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I make up large-ish batches of stew or similar then freeze into portions. When I come home I can defrost then cook in the microwave and eat with either rice or pasta.

Currently I have beef stew, chilli con carne, paella, king prawn jalfrezi and chicken korma. Later I'll be doing som bolignase.