1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Fish 'n) Chips

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm offended*

I only occasionally eat chips. The oven varieities that I've tried have, on the whole, been disappointing, but luckily only a little more time and effort applied to home made oven wedges does produce pretty darned good results. A couple of years ago now I had some triple cooked chips in a bar on Sauchiehall Street called Nice & Sleazy. I know, the name doesn't inspire confidence but the chips were so good that I pretty much decided to avoid chips in future unless they were likely to be of a similar standard.

*I'm not offended.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I'm sorry*
    *No I'm not

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

The utter worse one I had was not long after I got a chip pan. It was a Friday night and we had a couple of friends around. I had work the next morning so I was off to bed and Dave said they all fancied a chip butty. So I did some spuds and left them to it.

Woke up next morning and found Dave had emptied the chip pan once it cooled down straight down the sink!

Took me all day to unblock the sink and a week or so before he was even partly forgiven for being such a twit!

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

In Whitby the other week and spotted this
    [​IMG]

then I remembered they'd had a fire
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I have to say that at this time of the year in my part of the world, we make much of eating our cups of...black peas!

Black peas - otherwise known as pigeon peas - are eaten in a cup with plenty of vinegar and black pepper and they're marvelous, although thoroughly unappetising to look at...being black and all that.

Word on the streets is that an EU directive stipulated that black peas were to be classed as animal feed rather than for human consumption which means that in the lead-up to bonfire night they're the top seller in local pet food shops. Incidentally, this slight upon the reputation of the humble black pea is also (probably) the reason for the 'leave' vote in the North of England. We're not too bothered about new folk coming in, but if you mess with our black peas there's trouble!

Cheers, Jeff

steveandthedogs and spinno like this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Pretend they are vegetarian caviar?

Though there probably already is something called that...:rolleyes:

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Catriona and RogerMac like this.
  8. steveandthedogs

And they aren't all that black:

Pigeon-peas-web.jpg

S

Catriona likes this.
  9. Fishboy

You're kidding? Once they've been steeped overnight and cooked to within an inch of their life they come out of the pan as dark as a dark bat!

Cheers, Jeff

steveandthedogs likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Not the Messiah, then?

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

One of the "men with stones" perhaps?

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Gall or kidney

13. steveandthedogs

I know, I just like to be awkward sometimes.

S

spinno likes this.
  14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Hear hear:rolleyes:

15. Fishboy

I was eating a cup of them in the club on Monday evening and they were very black indeed - positively stygian in fact. I washed them down with a couple of pints of Phoenix 'White Monk' and a drop of rather interesting Marston's 'Bloody Doors Off'.

Cheers, Jeff

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I wouldn't lay claim to such high aspirations. I like horses though so perhaps just a Knight. Who says Ni.

LesleySM and spinno like this.
  17. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

That second one sounds an interesting sup.

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Rapeseed oil does not taste bad. It does not add to taste at all. Olive oil is hopeless for cooking. Olive oil is the best oil to use raw.
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned ghee. You can cook other than curry in it. The flavour compliments many foods and it gives a lovely sheen which is visually appealing.

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Highlight 1: Does to me. Smells even worse. Frances agrees. Glad you can stand the beastly stuff.

Ghee is wonderful but quite a lot of work to make and doesn't suit everything.

Olive oil, on the other hand, is good for cooking almost anything -- as far as Frances and I are concerned. We even make refritos with it. Olive oil crisps are an acquired taste but dangerous to acquire: afterwards, just everything else tastes inferior.

Cheers,

R.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Got to agree with this, although I have only ever tasted commercially made crisps cooked in olive oil. I liked the taste a lot. I can't always find them unfortunately!