1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FirstReView of 2008

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by huwevans, Dec 30, 2008.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

As we are coming now to the beginning of our third year, a review is in order. I had intended to select images and put together a review myself, but it occurs to me that it would probably be rather more in keeping with the ethos of FirstView to ask you to make your own selections.

So, I'd like to invite you to link in here your favourite FirstView images from the last year. These could be either of your own contribututions, or of others, providing they are still available online. You might find browsing the FirstView Gallery helpful with this, and of course the actual monthly threads. Because this could easily become a very long thread, I'm going to insist on a limit of two images per person. Also please tell us why you chose the images you did. Your reasons, of course, could be practically anything. Remember to tell us whose images they are, if you're choosing someone else's FirstView pictures.

Even if you haven't been a FirstView contributor you could still join in here if you have at least followed the project. [Although if that's the case, why haven't you contributed? [​IMG] ;)]

Finally, feel free to use this as a discussion thread as well, if you have any comments to make.

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Re: FirstReView, 2008

I'll kick things off with a couple of faves of my own - my favourite out of my own 2008 FirstView images, plus my favourite amongst everyone else's.

Of my own, this one from October sticks very much in my mind. It was a shot of the absurdly bright data light on an external drive casing hooked up to my new PC. I just loved the colour, and this was the day I got the main drive from my old machine up and running again after being without it for several months, so it was a big moment for me. :)

[​IMG]

For my favourite of other people's contributions I've chosen this one of Richard's (OneTen) from July. It really put a smile on my face, and I always look forward to Richard's FirstView images - he gets to work in such beautiful places!

[​IMG]

3. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Here are my favorites:

My own (in more ways than one ;) )

[​IMG]

A nice healthy pair of eyes. Glaucoma runs in the family so I have a regular (free) check up. However, the printout did cost :D

I love David's (Hotblack's) party in the kitchen. I think these types of parties are by far the best. I wish I was there, but I can't even remember where I was last New Year's Eve (as a lot of people :rolleyes: ) but I suspect mine was like any other day. But we will be out celebrating tonight (for a change) :D

[​IMG]

4. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

I'd have to go with Fen's January shot - I like the strength of the image, and the angle of the bike against the railing:
    [​IMG]

And from my own photos - June fox picture - I still like the look on his face "Mum, can I have some more?"

[​IMG]

5. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

What an excellent idea this thread is :) I've just spent a very pleasant hour reviewing all the FirstView submissions for this year!

There were an awful lot of very good images and the job of narrowing the long list of favorites to just one was difficult. I finally settled on OneTen's 'Summer?' from September...

[​IMG]

...for it's simplicity. Richard's use of the thatch - a material that has all the feeling of "summer" - in a downpour sums up the summer most of us experienced. Well spotted and nicely executed Richard :cool:

Choosing one of my own was very much easier, Barrow-on-Soar train crash from February...

[​IMG]

...it was a very memorable day when a work colleague and friend discovered an old footbridge had been knocked on to the track in front of the train he was driving. The collision crushed the cab trapping him inside for several hours. He was lucky not to have been killed!

My involvement didn't come until much later in the day when I was sent to drive the wrecked train away from the scene when it was re-railed.

6. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Chosen, not for it's pictorial quality, but for the memories it brings back.

Taken on my wife's birthday (July 1st) while walking with her in one of her most favourite places. It evokes feelings of pure pleasure.

[​IMG]

7. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

First one is my own, taken in August of this year. It's a small plant I noticed it just that morning. It's not grown much, and with today's frost it's probably dead.

[​IMG]

Fave other is from dbarfoot. It's the coast, plus brings back memories of my geography field study trip in the area.

[​IMG]

8. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Great idea Huw and many thanks once again for organising throughout the year.

Tania's (Seven) gull from March:

[​IMG]

I love the composition with the placement of the gull and the sweep of the clouds. Excellent timing and just enough motion blur.

Of my own, also from March is a photo taken of our stream:

[​IMG]

I'd spent many days huddled in the side of the bank trying to photograph Grey Wagtails without any success. I think it was a turning point for me, I realised that I loved wildlife photography and wanted to do more and more. I'd sat there all those hours without getting the shot but enjoyed every minute of it. Eventually I did get some photos.

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

So many to choose from, I just couldn't decide... I shortlisted it to about ten and I'm still not sure these are really my 'faves' as different pictures mean a lot for different reasons...

Of my own I guess this is my 'fave' if you can call it that:

[​IMG]

as it's pretty much how this year has felt. Hotblack's May I could've chosen for the same reason, or my own September, because it was a high point in the year.

As for other people's, I've gone for Tanya's March:

[​IMG]

as it is so free and happy and light. But I also love ben_chubbster's February, my January, Hotblack's January, Ian_A's February , Aliera's November, or Monobod's February.

What a great selection :)

10. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I've gone for this one by Richard as it sums up this year quite well - I've felt a bit crap, the weather was crap, and so is the economy. :( :)

[​IMG]

And of mine this one from New Year 12 months ago is my favourite.

[​IMG]