1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time Light Trail

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Alisters_Photos, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Alisters_Photos

Alisters_Photos New Member

Dear Members

This is the very first time i have done Light Trail Photography and i would love to have your input on the 4 photos that i have uploaded. And give me some tips to try and make them even better. Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hi Alister!

The 'right' place to put images up where you'd like people to comment on them and offer suggestions is in the appraisal gallery. (Just for future reference!)

Can you tell us a bit more about how you achieved these?

If you look at some of the really successful light trail photography that's out there, you should notice that they're usually about more than the ability to make light trails with a slow shutter speed. Consideration also needs to be given to the rest of the composition. I'm bringing this up because it strikes me there are two things you could work on here - one is getting the exposure right and with that the balance between the moving lights and the lights in and around the buildings, and hte other is to really think about what else is in the scene and how it looks as a backdrop to the light trails.

So for instance, the first two shots are somewhat over exposed and additionally the buildings in the frame are leaning at quite alarming angles - but in anycase, if it weren't for the streaks of light, they wouldn't make for very interesting shots.

The last two are basically the same shot but the exposures are wildly different. The buildigns are more obviously upright but you have a big expanse of road which has nothing on it and is therefore not visually that appealing.

Glasgow has some fantastic locations for this sort of thing - there's a spot near St George's cross where West Graham Street becomes the Great Western Road and looks over the M8 - I took a terrible shot on a wet and windy day as an aide memoire to go back some time and do it at night - it gives you a dramatic curve on the motorway, a set of buildings with interesting architecutre in the background, trees for silhoutted bits - and a nice angle of view too. I think finding a great location should be your first priority - would it look interesting without the light trails? And a tripod will help avoid camera shake and allow you to ensure that everything is as straight as it can be.