1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First proper image from the K-3

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

For me the centre bottom stone would be better left out.
    At the moment it holds my attention, not least because it looks as if you have half cloned grass onto it? Very weird. Better gone, I think.
    The ghost is a little strange, having got traces of colour just enough to notice and puzzle over.
    Nice idea though. :)

Kate
    PS Just looked at image on Flickr. Still puzzling over the tonal quality on the stones, but I can see them clearer there.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  3. Monobod

The colour has gone. I will replace it shortly.

You may have missed the point perhaps, it is her grave stone she is looking at. :eek:

I have not cloned grass around it, that is actual damage on the stone, but thanks for the comments, I can see why you may have thought that. The only slight smoothing was to obscure the name.

4. Catriona

Yes, I saw the stone on Flickr and realized there was no cloned grass. For me, the message didn't come across by just looking at the image, I'm afraid - and the stone just held my attention more than the rest of the scene, including the ghost.

It's probably just me and the way I see it.

Kate

5. Monobod

Yes, it needs the title to help the understanding, which is below the image here thankfully. Perhaps a more modern ghost maybe. It is very subjective.

I just enjoy composing ghost stories.

6. Monobod

I have had further thoughts on this image and I feel it needs a mourner kneeling by the grave for her to be talking to. It is a timeless scene, so the mourner could be her relative of a similar period, but not necessarily so. A more up to date mourner would (could) work just as well and would be easier to create.

I know this is not the right place for image critique, so I will say no more on it. The original idea was to show what the K-3 was capable of, so I will post some more definitive images later. Got a bit carried away with this one.

Thanks.

7. Catriona

Sounds good!
    I also apologize because it was only later I realized this was a post to the Pentax Chat thread!

Kate

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your first K3 pic with us Mono, I think the chroma very much suits your cameras Prestige colour scheme :) I'll keep an eye out for more of your ghost stories.

9. Monobod

Do you mean Grey, Dull and Boring? :D :D

I'll try to be in less of a rush nect time, got in too early with this one and hadn't thought the story line through properly.

Some things I have noticed all ready are:

Exposure metering seems to be much more accurate then on the K-5.
    Auto white balance is very good.
    The rear screen is amazing.
    Auto focus is faster and locks on better.

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I think the picture might work a bit better with a crop from the right, to concentrate attention on the ghost and the gravestone more.

I was similarly impressed, except I was comparing with the K20D, so probably even more so.

But wait 'til you try the AF in low light... It probably could focus on a ghost! :)

11. Catriona

Oh, don't stop playing! As someone who does all the time, I so appreciate seeing someone else doing the same.
    (One of my own 'ghost' stories, when struggling for inspiration). :)
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-gallery/data/500/medium/the_wind_in_the_willows_ap.jpg

Kate

12. Monobod

Regarding the ghost image, I have had a few useful suggestions from two of my club members, who do a lot of this composite stuff, so I will take my time and work on it more. It is great fun. I may try a modern ghost and mourner, but need some help from my family for models.....Ha!

I suspect I need a better lens than my Sigma 17-70, which seems to be quite soft and needs quite a bit of sharpening before the results look good. However, when sharpened they do look better than from the K-5, not that that was poor to start with. It is such a useful general range that it is hard to decide what to replace it with. The 10-20 is fine and then I have the 28-105 f/4-5.6 power zoom from my film days. so perhaps I will live without the bit in between for now. :)

I will ask if WEX has a demo of the Pentax 17-70 f/4 that I could take a couple of test shots with on the K-3.

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

14. Monobod

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  15. Monobod

Hello Jack,

Can you not see the image?
    I have deleted it from Flickr, that's probably why it has gone? Oops!
    Funny though as it is still in the body of this post below.
    I will put it back if I can, or email it to you.

Sorry.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  16. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I can see it in the original post, and, ironically, in Jack's reply. I suspect this might be something to do with each individual forumite's browser cache.

And it looks like the K3 can do macro pretty well, too. Did you use normal viewfinder AF or manual with live view focus peaking?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  17. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

The K3 with a good macro lens can take some stunning macro shots. I was trying to photograph a grasshopper the other evening and it jumped away... straight into a spiders web. The spider was on it in no time and this is the shot I got...

[​IMG]

18. Monobod

I used a mix of live view and viewfinder, but manual focus for both. The auto focus would sometimes pick a wrong part of the spider such as a leg. As the depth of focus is very shallow, it was better to do it manually.

Good shot of the spider with the grass hopper. We had about five or six of these spiders on webs in the garden all at once.

19. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

Got 'em :) Wow, great detail on the spider …. almost of those TMI pics ;)

Cheers,

Jack

20. Done_rundleCams

Yowza …. great shot, Gary :)

Cheers,

Jack