1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First attempt at landscape (or it is reservoirscape?)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Andred, May 3, 2012.

1. Andred

Andred Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

My first attempt at something resembling a landscape, i'm using a canon 24-105mm lens, but on a 550d, so actually its 38mm I guess, im still learning the ropes, just invested in a set of ND grad cokin filters so tonight was my first bash at it, very different from what I am used to, but really enjoyed it, only wish I had left the house an hour earlier to play around a bit longer, but the 13 week old didnt allow it :-(

Its probably not the best scene, but it is somewhere I had been before with the intention of going back to try my luck.

All I have done is slightly cropped ( very slightly) and altered WB, original was too yellow'ry/orange for my personal liking.

[​IMG]

Regards,

Andy

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Keeping the same aspect ratio crop in from from the bottom right to get rid of the rocks? Very nice.....superb for a first attempt:cool:

3. Ednewbie

Ednewbie Well-Known Member

That's definitely a "wow" from me. Superb!

I'm not sure about the bottom right hand corner. Maybe clone out the rocks or crop it up a bit?

Ed

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Very calming Andy - well shot! :D

Great low file size as well!

5. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

looking on my phone, maybe a crop from the bottom, but you managed to get really good light and for a first attempt i think its very good.

6. Rob Barnett

Rob Barnett Well-Known Member

Lovely ! A great shot :D

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Nice, but maybe a tad late. The total blocking of the hill on rhs is a bit heavy, creating imbalance in the scene. Stones are not ideal either and could do with a little more definition if they are to remain.

When I judge declining light, I get an idea in my mind of when it has reaced its peak and when it has "gone" from a photo POV. This is not quite gone, but there would probably have been better colouring 5 -10 mins or so before.

The scene is empty enough to provoke the eye to look for another element, like a boat or something.

More cropping and cloning is an option. Perhaps ?:

[​IMG]

8. Gogster

Gogster Well-Known Member

Love it - a great shot!

9. dennis72

dennis72 Well-Known Member

Lovely peaceful scene and beautiful colour but the shadow area is completely blocked out. If this was a raw file file perhaps you could recover some shadow detail. Cropping the foreground stones is a definate improvement.

10. RovingMike

I'd personally go for creating a better three-stage recession across the hills. The split in the middle is not clear enough.

11. Andred

Andred Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the comments folks, much appreciated, I plan to revisit one night this week if the weather allows it, re-shoot with the sun a little higher in the sky and without the rock in the lower right.

Cheers,

Andy.

12. RovingMike

Be there an hour before sunset and stay until 1/2 hour after with a tripod. Shoot every few minutes around sunset as the light changes and periodically after that.