1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox about:blank problem

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Dorset_Mike, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

With ad block enabled using about:blank as home page doesn't work when clicking on the home page button, the page remains showing but no actions like clicking on a new topic work.

Work around to get a blank page is opening the customise menu and selecting new window.

Is this anything to do with the recent update?

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve. Could you explain please?
    If I want a new tab I either click the + sign at the right of the tab bar or right click an item in my bookmarks and select "Open in a new tab" but I guess this isn't waht you are trying to do?

3. Dorset_Mike

If I want to close a page and not immediately open another I used to click on the home page icon which used to take me to a blank page "about:blank" now all that happens is that the page I want to leave becomes "inactive" i.e. to all intents and purposes closed to any actions yet still visible. Clicking on a new bookmark still works fine except if I click on about:blank, so does opening a new tab. Starting Firefox at a blank page still works OK.

As stated in my OP if I disable adblock it all works as it did before.

4. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

This is a guess:
    Do you have an addon called "New Blank Homepage" ? If so this won't work after the update.
    There is a newer addon called New Tab override which can be configured (among other things) to do the same thing, but for some reason (which I forget) I didn't like it.
    If you don't like it either then instead make sure the icon for home page "the house" is showing on the url bar, and click on that using the scroll wheel as a button. The scroll wheel button acts as new tab + whatever you want ... a bookmark on the bookmark bar or home page.

If none of this works and you are sure adblock is the cause then don't use it, instead you can ban popups and use tracking protection found on the privacy tab of settings.

BTW About:home comes up like lighting and is a lot more useful than a blank page -- you can select whatever search engine on the settings search tab (the drop down box)

Edit, I hadn't read your latest post when I wrote this

5. Dorset_Mike

New FF update seems to have sorted it