1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding locations

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by medavidcook, May 13, 2018.

1. medavidcook

medavidcook Well-Known Member

Hey,

Don't know if this is the right place (if not feel free to move)

I am wondering how people scout there areas that you looking at before going to shoot, is there any website, book etc. that you use.

Thanks

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Google Earth is a great resource. Also websites such as The Photographers Ephemeris and Sun Calc for predicting Sunrise/Sunset times and direction.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Photographing the Peak District: A Photo Location and Visitor Guidebook Paperback – 28 Aug 2017
    by Chris Gilbert (Author), Mick Ryan (Author)

I bought this book last year for a holiday in the Peaks and found it very helpful with plenty of detailed advice. They also have books for other popular areas.

Otherwise Google.

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

If you follow other photographers on Flickr, Instagram etc and see somewhere you like, just ask them where they took the shot.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Certainly find where people go as described, but at some point you have to move out of other peoples' tripod holes. Google Earth is definitely useful, but after that, I think you take a lot of time and wear out some boots. Even on my urban projects, I might spend 100 days or more and walk up to 200 miles just looking and taking location references if the light etc is not right. It very rarely is right on first visit.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

We all have our methods, I have found a number just as I drive in the area and file them in my onboard computer:) for potential future use.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Ordnance survey maps - look for closely-packed contour lines and waterfalls, and wear sensible footwear.

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Like Mike, I've always found that there's no substitute for boots on the ground, but unlike Mike, I've also found that the first time I see something I often have a welcome freshness of vision which is rarely as intense on the second visit (though sometimes, in all fairness, it can be more intense).

Books are generally of limited interest to me as I have no desire to re-shoot their pictures, and the risk is that their pictures may be of the only interesting subjects for miles around.

Cheers,

R.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I can identify with that. Subsequent visits can have the effect of making us try to fine-tune what we are doing, thus losing the spontaneity, the result of looking and feeling we can do better than the first occasion.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Books can be useful in showing what's there. Whether I 'use the tripod holes' is another matter given that I may well come from another direction and, in any case, the weather almost certainly won't be the same! In any case, on hiking trips I take the scenery as it comes as I generally don't have the time to faff about looking for 'that special viewpoint' if it's not directly on my route.

Lynn