1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding AP in the newsagent

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 6, 2007.

?

Max speed for a HGV

1. 40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 70

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah! :D

In a way, it is; my neighbours at the back are sheep, and a pair of ducks decided to doss down for the night in my back garden. I get to work along country roads, sometimes held up by deer and fox families crossing; get woken on warm mornings in early spring by the noise of woodpeckers, and I even get trout in the garden - well, in the bit of the brook that's technically in my garden. Yup, back of beyond stuff in many ways. :)

2. TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Huw Evans (Dorset) wrote:
    I'm a little surprised to hear that Huw. Most of the supermarkets I visit in north & central Dorset (and south & east Somerset) usually have copies of AP on their shelves. Even the very small branch of WHSmiths near where I work stocks AP - sadly it stopped selling the 'British Journal of Photography' two or three years ago and I have noticed that within the last four months or so it seems to have reduced its stock of photography magazines (some of the more recently launched trendy-type mags seem to have vanished), although AP is still there.

Many of the smaller independent newsagents in my area often do not have AP, either because they do not order it at all or because they have so few copies it often sells out. For example, my local newsagent only puts one copy of AP on its shelves (and one copy each of 'Outdoor Photography' and 'New Scientist', my other regular purchases)!

Terry.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Do you get them to keep your copies... under the counter?

When I lived in Hove (actually) the newsagents used to do that for me with AP as I would be in every week for it.

4. TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Yes, they do that - they do it for my copies of the local weekly newspaper and 'Radio Times', however I usually pick up AP and 'Outdoor Photography' either in a supermarket or the little WHSmiths near where I work (and I now subscribe to 'New Scientist' so it comes in the post).

Terry.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

My locals Smiths usually have it as does Waitrose.

Still often have trouble finding it as the new style cover just doesnt seem to stand out as well as the old one...........

6. Tacker

Tacker Well-Known Member

cant say i ever buy it now i use to but not any more

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Finding AP in the newsagent -- difficult :( but then....

.....I am in a different continent, across an ocean and an entire country :rolleyes:

:D

Jack

8. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

I agree. The old version was much easier to spot on crowded shelves.

9. TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Would you believe it! The small branch of Smiths has not had a copy of the 'British Journal of Photography' on its shelves for the last two or three years, yet yesterday afternoon I briefly popped in to pick up this week's AP (which I particularly wanted because it is the special 'Wildlife' edition) and there on the shelf beside half a dozen copies of AP were four copies of the 'British Journal of Photography' - amazing coincidence! I hope that this is not just a one-off trial because there was nothing of interest to me in this week's edition so I didn't buy it!

Forgot to mention 'BBC Wildlife' magazine, which is also a regular purchase.

Terry.

10. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Neither had the branch in Hitchin, but they've also started having it again recently.

11. Ellie527

Ellie527 Well-Known Member

I can manage to read it in the library, but our one newsagent doesn't have enough space to keep many copies of any magazine, so they all seem to sell out too quickly. The little supermarkets we've got aren't much better.

12. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I live in a smallish village, with only two shops that sell mags. Niether carry AP, or much elso photograpic for that matter.

So I subscribe. It arrives every Saturday almost without fail. It is cheaper and that way and I get to see the small ads a bit sooner, what more can one ask?

13. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I noticed today that my local Morrisons seem to have dropped all photo mags!

Graeme

14. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

Re: No Nick...

Always lying always cheating...lol, if you were at twickenham a few weeks back you might have seen t'uther side with me in it singing it! Gloucester's cherry and whites (tho we do have a lion logo somewhere..) lost to the tigers, but hey they were a young inexperienced side on that fateful saturday, says alot that they made it to twickenham. Tigers beware! (btw didnt the wasps with ex-gloucester vickery in team, thump leicester the following weekend?) Btw the tigers samoan player (fiji?) cant spell the name, he's phenomenal

15. d123

d123 Well-Known Member

I agree on that point, both in the Supermarket (Tesco and ASDA) and the Newsagents, I know it's there on a Tuesday but find I have to physically check through each title to find it, it used to stand out before the change.
    Last week was the worst, it just looks like mmmphPhotographer.
    Could be any title.

The poll was a little difficult to choose an answer, I do always find a copy, but lately have found it difficult to find.

16. robc

robc Well-Known Member

Always find it in chain stores - WH Smith, supermarkets, etc. Very very rarely find it in independent stores, local news-agents etc (except in zone 1 London).

And I do agree with the comments about it being much harder to find on the shelves following the make-over. It really does look just like every other magazine now.

Admittedly it used to stand out as the design was old-fashioned compared to most other mags!

(Hence I appreciate the need to modernise and give it a more contemporary feel, but surely the brief for a redesign should include the need to stand out and differentiate as well?!)

17. staccato123

staccato123 Well-Known Member

I either buy mine at the larger of the two Leeds Station WHSmiths, which almost always has it on the shelves by 8am Tuesday, or sometimes I'm at Cardigan Road Co-op at about 0745, where the staff member who does the magazines is now used to me coming in and asking for one to be pulled out of the stack of new deliveries. This is much easier when I know there's a freebie attached!

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It took me so long to find AP this week I ended up with a mag from Future Publishing that I otherwise wouldn't have bought. The other mag was easy to find and caught my eye....what more can I say?

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yesterday in Asda (the Jewewl, Edinburgh) they had the issue with the M8 on the front... Not impressed.

20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

No AP in my local Co-op yesterday, but around 5 on the shelf today. Whenever there's bank holidays, the delivery date appears to slip by one or two days. And, it seems to be taking longer this year to get back to Tuesday. I note that Borders had their copies yesterday. So is this a distribution fault or what?