1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Find YOUR next lens

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by wozza, Oct 24, 2017.

1. wozza

wozza Member

I completely understand why AP covers £5k or even £10k cameras as one-offs. I have zero problem with that.

But 1.5 pages on medium format *lenses*?!

How many AP readers have a GFX 50S? What have we got to learn from Fuji ambassadors plugging their favourite freebie lens?

Keep it real, gents!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was a bit surprised, but if those are their favourite lenses ......

The scope was mirrorless so the field was covered. If it had been for reflex it would be interesting to see the equivalent even though I suspect the response would be more partial because of the range of new and old possibilities for the bodies makes the lens choice wider.

Could ask the same lens question for large format too.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Pete,

Well, yeah. Taken to its extreme, this sort of argument also excludes all but cheap local travel and an old, slow computer.Or of course a wet darkroom. I rather like such articles as I always like to think about what I can do with a load of mostly (but not all) elderly kit, and what some people seem to imagine they need to spend on new digital gear.

Cheers,

R.

4. wozza

wozza Member

... then ask someone else. Simple.

The Fuji ambassadors are always going to plug Fuji's latest camera/system. That's literally what they're being paid to do.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

So you are happy to read articles on very expensive cameras but not lenses that may be used on very expensive cameras?...:confused:

While most of us don't have MF cameras like the Fuji that doesn't mean there aren't some who do and to whom such an article is likely to be of some value (even if the views are a little influenced).
    As long I have been reading AP it has been all inclusive and long may it continue. Amateur doesn't mean small format only.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You can never tell when a review of a really expensive piece of kit will be useful to those of us who don't spend a lot. When reviewed in January 2005 the Canon Eos 1Ds II was £6,000. When I bought mine a couple of years ago I paid 10% of that. The AP review was just as useful to me as it would have been to a buyer in 2005.

EightBitTony, Roger Hicks and Fishboy like this.
  7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

If AP was filling every issue with high-end medium format stuff from brand ambassadors then I'd share your objection, but once in every now and then isn't a problem - it's nice to see how the other half live...

Anyway, if I win the Euromillions tonight that article might suddenly gain a lot of relevance for me!

Cheers, Jeff

RogerMac and Roger Hicks like this.
  8. wozza

wozza Member

Yes, reviews of higher-end cameras are widely relevant because - obviously - the technology and features eventually work their way into consumer cameras.

Fawning pieces over expensive lenses don't have the same relevance.

Surely that's not difficult to understand, or worth a sarcastic emoji?

9. PeteRob

If you do then a user view of a side by side comparison with the Phase One would be nice!

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

So presumably you would have the same objection to reviews, even fawning ones, about camera lenses in the system you have?...;)

11. wozza

wozza Member

Think I've made it clear that my issue is with the *relevance* of the cover feature.

Obviously it's not a review. I can live with the fact that AP runs puff pieces - although they're usually flagged at "Advertisement feature" or similar. Meow!

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

István Bibó wrote "Do not confuse the concoctions of your mind with reality". I find this a useful check to see if I'm arguing about non-issues.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  13. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Actually you might be surprised to learn that the Fujifilm ambassadors (or X photographers, as they call them) are NOT paid by Fuji. That's why there are hundreds of 'em around the world. They're not paid to use the kit or convert to Fuji. Like most other companies Fujifilm keeps a look out for people who use their gear and are very good photographers (and hopefully have a good social media following) and then appoint them as X Photographers, which gives them kudos and extra publicity. They may then be paid to attend Fuji events or be in ads, etc but that's an extra thing.
    When we do features like this we try to cover every system and find skilled and successful (one usually follows the other) photographers for each, so the feature is unbiased. This usually means in Fuji's case they're likely to be X photographers.

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

But do they have to buy all their Fuji hardware at the usual retail prices...?
    There is a difference between editorial and advertising, and sometimes I believe AP blurs this difference.

15. PeteRob

Not sure what the relevance of price is, or "ordinary retail price", which is not a fixed thing. A professional buys equipment as part of his/her business activity not as a retail item.

Anyway I just saw on LCE pages that there is a £1200 rebate on offer on camera+lens pairings. That's moving the camera with a 32-64 lens to just under £7k to a consumer.

16. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

In defence of AP, I enjoy reading about all cameras, lens and associated equipment, it has to cover all of photography, as it is read by pros and the advanced amateur. If you won the lottery................:D

Fishboy and Roger Hicks like this.
  17. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I'd like to see an example of a feature that you think blurs the difference.
    With regular editorial features we try to be as unbiased as possible and talk to photographers using every system (space permitting) as we did with this feature. Sometimes these people have a commercial relationship with the person who makes their kit but we cant help that. If you want to talk to the most accomplished photographers using each system there's a strong chance that'll be the case. It doesn't mean that AP is biased. Whenever we publish anything that has been paid for we clearly label this content as such - eg as 'an advertisement feature.' We're doing more and more of these because straight forward display advertising is a slowly dying medium, and advertisers now increasingly want to reach their audiences with 'content'.

cliveva likes this.
  18. wozza

wozza Member

I wouldn't say that AP is 'biased' in favour of one manufacturer/system over another.

But I still think covering just *one* XF lens in a cover feature (two parts) over something like eight pages is bizarre - and especially so given the "Find your next lens" cover line.

I've binned the issue now but, IIRC, Panasonic and Olympus were covered separately so Micro 4/3rds owners were much better served.

The coverage seemed very unbalanced, that's all.

But, hey, I'll get over it. :)