1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally have my PEN F

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by RovingMike, May 26, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

After more delay and confusion than enough, I finally got my hands on the PEN F with 17mm and the 14-42mm pancake today. Quite staggered by quality of the pancake, I had been ready to accept a compromise, but both with the 14-42mm and 17mm, the PEN beats the old EM1 with 12-40 PRO all over the place.

So the "backup" machine is now the number one.

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Does it match the beauty of the old film versions in terms of aesthetics?

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

That's gotta qualify for a Richie Benaud! :D
    RM, I assume that's the 17mm f1.8? I am surprised about the pancake beating the 12-40. Perhaps you had a poor one? Did you have it checked at all? Cheers, Oly

4. RovingMike

Well it is not as simple, but yes, I'd say it is a modern equivalent. I got the silver so love the chrome wheels.

5. RovingMike

Yes the f1.8. Maybe it is the smaller sensor in the EM1? But it is quite clear. I'm looking particularly at a spotty pebble near the left, but I have others with central details too.

EM1 with 12-40 https://www.flickr.com/gp/rovingmike/dmU2V2
    PEN with pancake https://www.flickr.com/gp/rovingmike/53P9H4
    PEN with 17mm https://www.flickr.com/gp/rovingmike/69L237

Maybe you can see something in the exif? Pancake is getting a bit of sun, as I had no lens hood yet. Only 12-40 had a hood. All had UV filters.

Never had an issue with the 12-40 and I have shot thousands with it.

6. RovingMike

7. 0lybacker

Hi RM, Smaller sensor? Thought they were the same size or are you refering to mps?

I initially looked at your pics on a laptop. Will have another look now on a bigger, better, newer screen. The 17mm f2.8 pancake has a, now, umhh, shall we say 'mixed' :oops: reputation. There are some good ones out there. Somewhere. Mind you, the A/F in the E-P1 was not very good. The fast lenses in the Olympus range do seem to be more uniformally great, performance-wise.

It's something of a mystery why the crop and micro sensor camera makers have not made more of the opportunity to build superfast and wide. f1.2 lenses were not unknown on movie cameras over 60 years ago!

Olympus seem to be on top of the A/F. Now, if only they could fix the menus and the control inputs, I might be more enthusiastic.

Have lots of fun and I hope you get some great stuff with your Pen. I look forward to a Mk2 version. Cheers, Oly

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

The Pen F has the Sony IMX269 CMOS sensor which seems to have very good reviews.

9. 0lybacker

Hi Roger, it is still Four Thirds format, is it not? Think all of Nikon's sensors are Sonys, too, which makes their not joining the mF/T clan even more inexplicable. Cheers, Oly

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Yes it's used as Four Thirds in the Pen. Most but not all Nikons have Sony sensors.

11. RovingMike

Yes I meant more pixels, it is still 4/3. A dealer told me the 17mm pancake had died due to a poor reputation and he didn't rave about the 14-42, in fact said it had soft edges, but the test I did in the shop didn't seem to show that. Still waiting for lens hoods to arrive. Putting UV filters on does catch the sun a bit.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 17mm pancake is the most disappointing modern lens I can think of; not that it's absolutely terrible, just I had hoped for a lot more.

13. RovingMike

Well I dread to ask about the lens cap fisheye then!

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think my expectations would be in line with that. ;)

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Oh, the 9mm lenscap fisheye isn't too bad. Considering... ;)

16. RovingMike

Well I have now run a lot more comparisons of the 17mm 1.8 prime vs the 14-42 pancake and the pancake has won every one. Would that be because it is such a slow lens? I think the only thing I would use the 17mm for now is low light. But I have the 12-40 pro for that. Rather glad I only paid about £20 for the 17mm in the kit.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I really like the Panasonic 12-32 lens. Very small when folded and very sharp through the range.

lfc1892 likes this.
  18. RovingMike

Interesting. I have the Lumix 35-100 and find that exceptional too.

But a bit surprised that an Oly prime really doesn't hack it.

19. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have the 17mm f2.8 pancake lens and I know that it has a slightly iffy reputation but it as always done the biz for me (and continues to do for my wife) Perhaps there is some batch variation. If you want to look in the monthly theme I published one of its images yesterday, unfortunately after taking the resolution down to the forum recommendations nothing is truly sharp but on the original every title is crisp and legible

20. RovingMike

Thanks, yes looks sharp at that size. Might be just the trade-off for a 1.8 min aperture on mine, which I see Wex are now calling the pancake. Confusing!