1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Analysis - 8 August 2015

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The numerous replies to this thread, both pro and con...establish at least one thing, and that is that people react to Rogers columns.
    This particular Ap did not arrrive until this morning and it was not till lunch time that I had a quick read. The picture in question did stand out from the crowd, but I would be hard pressed to say why.

The criticism of the deep featureless blacks are someting feared today, and are usually opened out in PS. Into meaningless greys punctuated by noise. In past times they were used as just another tool in image making.

Roger in his commentary gave us plenty to think about. It was as unexpected and at the same time interesting as always. Rarely if ever do the linked photographs set me off on the same journey as Rogers articles do, but why should they?

What would I learn if they did?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

...just a pair of smoking shoes!

Adrian

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Eric,

It doesn't really work that way. I don't start out with a thesis and then try to illustrate it. Instead, I start with a picture, and try to say why I think it's worth talking about. No, it wasn't the repro, and no, I don't think the photo was "unsuitable". I chose it because it was a photo that worked for me, despite the "faults" that a camera club judge might complain about.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been away in Scotland at my father's funeral, and after that, helping his widow get rid of stuff (my own mother died over 40 years ago): we got back only last night (Saturday 8th) at just gone 10 pm. I'm wearing a pair of his shoes as I type this...

Cheers,

R.

4. Roger Hicks

It might indeed be wearing. If people disagree with me, then I have succeeded as much as if they had agreed with every word I said. It's a column about making people think, and (I hope) about introducing them to pictures they might otherwise not see, or even if they did see them, not think about. I've had stuff close to hate mail about some of the stuff I've chosen, which probably means I'm doing something right.

Although on the one hand, yes, it would be very interesting to conduct a dialogue with readers, I know that all too often it's the ones who really dislike what I've written who dominate the discussion: this even though (I suspect) they are not particularly numerous. There's always the Swans and Sunsets brigade, but there are also those who are unable or unwilling to think outside other tiny self-selected boxes, or who want to boost their egos by scoring what they imagine to be points. This is what makes me hesitant about agreeing wholeheartedly with you.

Yes, I do enjoy writing them (though it's not always easy), and thank you for the kind words.

Cheers,

R.

5. Roger Hicks

Dear Eric,

I'm slightly surprised at your fixation with this. It's not an uncommon error with faces (because we see our own faces reversed in the mirror) and I can't quite see why it matters so much that they're both left or both right: the important part is that they are not one left plus one right.

Cheers,

R.

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Terry,

Thanks very much. This is exactly the sort of reaction I hope for when I write the column. THINK!

Cheers,

R.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

What a shame.
    This thread was going somewhere - discussions, differences, but no hissy-fits or fragile flowers.

Ah well.

8. Roger Hicks

Dear Kate,

Eh?

What's the "shame"?

Cheers,

R.

9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Fixation?

Not really. If I didn't point out your occasional failings or mention slight disagreements, then my comments upon your column would come over as horribly sycophantic. I am sure you would not want that.

One-sided mutual admiration societies don't really work. :)

Eric

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Eric,

Too right, and I apologize for taking it the wrong way. On the other hand, pointing out the error once was quite sufficient to make me regret having made it, and I think you might admit that "he didn't know his erse from his elbow" was perhaps ever so slightly over the top.
    Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  11. PhotoEcosse

I suspect that you have made a mistake* that I frequently make - of commenting on a post in a thead without reading the whole thread in sequence.

The comment you quote was made in response to a post from Kate about whether the photograph made us laugh. I was explaining that, while the photo didn't make me laugh, one aspect of the article text did.

Eric

* Perhaps not so much a mistake as an almost inevitable consequence of this type of "discussion" chatroom which, I suspect, many of us only dip into while waiting for the computer to finish a task or the coffee-maker to perform its task.

12. Roger Hicks

Dear Eric,

No, I did read it all the way through, but I still couldn't quite see the relevance; or rather, the reason for phrasing it that way. More and more, the internet makes me aware of the different ways in which people's minds work, and the different priorities or weights that we attach to different comments, some of them throwaway.

Cheers,

R.

13. PhotoEcosse

I am sure you are right about that, Roger.

What this type of forum lacks is all of the normal communication clues that surround the actual words used in a "normal" conversation.

Things like tone of voice, facial expression, hand gestures and other body language, etc., etc.

In any human conversation, you would have noticed the twinkle in my eye when I made the comment to which you object.

That is why talking about photography at camera clubs, photographic societies or even our fortnightly Sunday morning photographers' coffee meet-ups is so hugely superior, in terms of social interaction, to the sort of discourse that is generated here. (And, believe me, this forum is somewhat better than many of the alternative photography chat-rooms on the internet.)

Eric