1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filters ?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Dion 47, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Dion 47

Dion 47 Well-Known Member

I know a lot of you might already do this but don't forget if you don't have filters with long exposures you can always wave your open hand/ fingers in front of the lens over the light part so it doesn't get blown out with practise you can get really good results this way

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

A better way of improvising might be to use a dense translucent everyday wrapper (say the wrapping from a Quality Street chocolate - the purple ones are nice) and then colour correct for the inevitable cast in Lightroom.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Just like we used to dodge prints in the darkroom. By the way - did anyone ever use those black pieces of card on the end of a piece of wire? They were too much like hard work for me.

Geren and Dion 47 like this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Ditto. Plus, working in the confined space of the cupboard under the stairs there wasn't enough oxygen to mess around dodging. Anything longer than a 30s exposure didn't leave time for swishing in the fixer.

5. Dion 47

Dion 47 Well-Known Member

I was lucky I worked for Unilever Research and had our own dark room with all the film and paper we needed

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes. I constructed one for a particular bit of dodging I needed where I coudn't relaly successfully reach with my hand unless I dodged other areas I didn't want to. But mostly I preferred to use my hand.