1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filters ?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Clayton13, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Clayton13

Clayton13 Well-Known Member

I know Lee and nisi seem to be the big ( expensive ) brands, but are there any other brands that are good quality ?

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I use Cokin but you will get a Magenta colour cast if you stack them. Hi-Tec are another you may want to research. Hope that helps.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

For screw in types Hoya are good and fairly reasonable priced. Zeiss make a range middle of the road pricing but good reputation.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Hitech square filters are decent quality, but not much cheaper than Lee.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

What size filters; what type; and what do you want them for?

Cheers,

R.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Have a look at hitech and SRB. The hitech filter kit I bought was much cheaper than Lee but I only require filters for occasionally use, most of the time I prefer to use LR/PS.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Another factor to remember - if you buy square / drop in filters, they come in various sizes. If you get a holder of a specific size, you might find other brands fit into it okay. I am led to believe you can use Lee and Cokin filters in a Lee 100mm frame.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Cokin ZPro, but not any other size (A, P or XPro). Hitech fit, as to many other brands.

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

That was it, Lee only comes in one size (?) but if you make sure you buy Cokin ZPro you can mix and match while building up the more expensive filters?

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Lee are actually in 3 sizes now, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm.

You can mix and match brands in the same size, but you can't mix sizes.

Roger Hicks and EightBitTony like this.
  11. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Strange I have never used a filter since my film days, at times I should though especially a grad for the skies.....

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I used to use warming filters a fair bit, not even sure I own one now. Polariser gets just as much use as before, the 10 stop ND a lot more use, but ND grads less than I think I would actually benefit from, so I'm trying to use them a bit more.

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Me too, I went out and bought some early last week after considering how often I add a grad in Lightroom. Not actually got them out of the wrapper yet though.

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

What happened to them? Where did you find a buyer?

EDIT: OK you said "used". Where are they now?

Cheers,

R.

15. Clayton13

What brand did you go for ?

16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was looking for Formatt Hitech but the only ones the shop had in stock were Lee. I got a 2 stop medium grad and a 3 stop soft grad, a holder and wide-angle adaptor ring against the day I get a 16-35 F4 L. The shop didn't have a 2 stop soft but I was able to look at the 2 stop medium effect on the camera and it was OK and reasonably close to what I often apply in post. The medium has a higher gradient than the soft. I figured a 1 stop grad is so easily done in post there was no point plus these two filters plus trimming in post covers most options. The filters are very stiff to put in the holder compared to my old Cokin ones so I hope they loosen up with use as I'd hate to break them, both from the cost and for the likely damage to my hands. One thing I wasn't expecting was the size of the pouch the filters and holder come in. They are huge. Three pouches take up half the camera bag. It remains to be seen if I am disciplined enough to use them. I don't usually carry a bag or tripod, just a camera with the lens of the day on it, so now I'm up to the bag with filters, spot meter, right angled finder*, remote release, tripod as well as the camera and lens.

*I don't bend very well these days and it is much easier to look down when using the camera on a tripod than adopt inelegant poses.

EightBitTony and Clayton13 like this.
  17. Clayton13

I am finding lots of contradicting advice about filters but up to now im favouring the hitech ( lots more research to be done though ).

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use a mixture of Hitech and Lee - in terms of the quality of the filters, there's nothing between them really. You get better pouches with Lee. Big differences are that Lee offers Medium and Very Hard ND grads, and I find that medium suits me best, and Hitech offers reverse grads, which are ideal for sunsets etc. when the sun is very low in the sky.
    Nisi filters are also great from what I've seen, but I don't like their holder, seems very stiff. I do prefer the design for holding a polariser, though.

In terms of Pete's comments about the 1 stop filter, the big advantage of it for me is for stacking with the 3 stop to get 4 stops, or for otherwise amending the effect of other filters (including using it upside down on some occasions). Certainly less useful now than in my film days. And one final comment on Pete's post, my smartphone has replaced right angled finder and remote release these days, being able to compose and fire the shutter on its screen is vastly more comfortable and practical. And it saves a bit of space and weight, too. My RAF languishes in a cupboard along with my film EOSs. :(

19. EightBitTony

I've bought the Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi Adapter and I'm really hoping it'll allow me to use the 7Dii from my phone for just that reason. I'm still annoyed the 7Dii doesn't have an articulated screen.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was annoyed about that with the 6D until I used the app. Now I'm happy that it's one less thing to break. ;)