1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filter problem

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by solidair, Apr 5, 2001.

1. solidair

solidair Well-Known Member

Following the AP recommendation I have bought a Tokina 28-80 f/2.8 lens which has a 77mm filter fitting. But I cannot find either from Nikon or Hoya (which is made by Tokina) a 77mm screw on Grey Graduated Filter. I find this suprising as it is a must for me for landscape sunrises/sets etc. I'm not keen on the Cokin style so what can I do?

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Hi "Solidair". Do you have a brother called "Fridgeidair"? (Joking) I dunno about the screw on graduate, because of its nature (you slide it up and down in a vertical plane to achieve the required effect)they probably don't make this type of filter in a "screw on " type. I guess you will just have to use the Cokin type adaptor for this type of filter. However, I may be wrong, so come on in you "real" experts and provide a definitive answer.
    BigWill

3. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

You would always have to position the sky in the same place at all focal lengths with a screw-on grad. Could be a bit restricting.

4. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

They do make screw on grads in smaller sizes, but BigWill's advice is best- get a Cokin type & enjoy the freedom

5. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Why not get a bellows lens hood/filter holder combination. They can be expensive, Cokin have just introduced a new line of these, but there are cheaper versions. The grad will slide up and down in the front slots.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Check out www.cocam.co.uk for high quality, (relatively)low cost ND grads in Cokin P size.
    Screw-in grads seem a bit pointless to me...

Nick

7. Steve L

Steve L Well-Known Member

Don't even think about the Graduated ND Cokin filters. I scraped them years ago because I found that they are not quite neutral; they have a slight magenta cast. Go for Lee or HiTech. I know they're more expensive, but if you've paid good money for a good lens, why spoil it?
    regards
    Steve

8. Joël Lacey

Joël Lacey Member

I agree with all the other respondents about the lack of utility of a screw-in grad. Furthermore, if you want any other filters at any stage, it'll be humungously expensive to equip yourself with 77mm versions.
    I know there is a (possibly quite justifiable) snobbery surrounding special effects filters (diffraction, starburst and the like) but that doesn't prevent some exceptional photographers using square system filters, and it shouldn't you either.
    Lee Filters has an excellent bellows system (that acts as a very flexible lens hood as well as a filter holder) in its filter system, and a good lens hood will improve the quality of your shots, before any filters are even introduced.
    Joël Lacey
    AP HELP TEAM EDITOR

Got a photo query? Try AP_HelpTeam@Hungerhill.com. You can also fax on (44)20 7681 1010

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Putting 2 and 2 together, I think that Cocam grads are made by Lee, and you definately need to get top quality filters - Steve is absolutely right.

Nick

10. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

Agree with Lee. They are expensive but excellent. The NDs are neutral. If you do invest, you should probably make sure you go for the special wideangle adapter rather than the normal one. This a bit more expensive than the normal one but is thinner and prevents vignetting when used with wideangle lenses. You may get away with it on a 28 but you never know.