1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film V Digital photography - would you Adam 'n' Eve it?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends how one defines 'better'.

Before digital cameras were introduced, nobody ever thought about resolution; now many 'togs seem to be obsessed by it, often to the exclsuion of more important considerations.

In my opinion, digital certainly produces 'cleaner' and 'sharper' images, but 'better'? Mmmm, I'm not so sure.

There are so many competing aspects of image quality that I would be hard pushed to pick a clear winner; although both film and digital have undoubted advantages for specific applications.

Considering the 35mm format for a moment, I would say with no hesitataion that my 5 MP E1 produces 'better' quality prints than a top quality 35 mm print film scanned on a top quality film scanner; even though the E1 has a more limited dynamic range.

But if we move up to medium format, properly exposed Velvia 50 would be a hard act to follow, and for me, certainly produces far more 'pleasing' results.

But how do we define 'pleasing'? :D

2. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

I think I replied "digital". I've had a few DSLRs (Pentax *istD, EOS350D and EOS 1DS) and some other digicams (Dimage7, Olympus SP-320) now. Comparing most of my digital equipment with film, I'd say film is superior but when I look at output from a professional DSLR, it's got to be digital.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Errr

Ah...

Hmmm Perhaps I'd better stop there :D

4. Benchmark

Now now. I meant 'pleasing' in a photographic sense! ;)

5. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Frankly David, I don't see at all what you're getting at with all this. From your first post in this thread...

Doesn't that work both ways, or is it simply because the results didn't come out the way you would have expected (or perhaps more pertinantly, desired?). I've had experience with both, and although I didn't take part in this poll I would agree that film is far better than digital for its overall 'feel'.

Yes, digital may sometimes show better contrast/acutance or what-have-you, but there is far more to a great picture than mere technical matters. For me, film has a quality that completely eludes the mere mechanistic reproduction of a silicon chip. God knows, I've seen sufficient digital images in various magazines (and my own rubbish shots) to know that I dislike the clinical nature of so much of it.

6. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Define: Stop. ;)

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That's usually a mutually agreed password ;) :D :eek: :eek:

8. Benchmark

Erm, Conclusion, Finale? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

There is no doubting film,at the moment, is superior.
    Digital is getting better but will take time to catch up and even longer to overtake/replace.IMHO

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The bath in between dev and fix?

11. The Circle Of Confusion

The Circle Of Confusion Well-Known Member

ROFL :D

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I'm going to stay out of the debate further down this thread, but as a sometime statistician I'd have to ask in response to the above, how do you know they didn't? Or for that matter that the film hardcore didn't? Possible multiple voting on a website is a modern twist, but it's still the same old 'self-selected sample' problem - even without multiple voting there's just no way of knowing whether it reflects the true background population or not, and people naturally tend to make assumptions on that based on whatever their prior perceptions were.

I didn't vote at all, BTW, because none of the available options reflected my views.

13. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you there Will. Some long time ago I invested in a top of the range film scanner and even with that I have trouble getting the quality that I want. Most of the problem, of course, is my lack of skill. However had I done my research properly I would have known that Kodachrome doesn't scan well. I used K'Chrome for 'hundreds' of years before their developing service began to wear out even a dedicated fan like me. Result is that 90% of my output is slides and 90% of that is K'chrome - result scanning is not the panacea that I thought it was.:(

Then if I look at a panel of Cibachromes that I used for my 'A' submission [remove modest hat]they are quite beautiful [/replace modest hat] and I certainly can't match them my any of my current methods. The big difference, though, is that I can get reasonably close with my home equipment. I never, in a million years, could have matched those Cibachromes at home - but we are speaking about my limitations again. :)

MickLL

14. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Even though I am an out and out digital user I still voted for film.

Personally I get better results from digital. Even in the last 18 months I have progressed significantly (this coming from an ex film user who D&Ped his own stuff). Work I was very happy with 18 months ago is now (to use David Steel's term) nothing more than bin fodder.

In the right hands I think film produces the better results. I just didn't have the skill with film to produce those results.

Recently we had a nine club competiton at my local camera club. The difference between a projected slide and a projected digital file was palpable, the slide having more depth compared to the rather flatter, clinical feeling digital file.

However, I really enjoy the flexibility I get from digital. I won't be moving back any time soon.

15. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

That's an acidic remark!

16. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Maybe it will prevent us developing the theme further.

MickLL

17. Hotblack

We could be in a fix if it does.

18. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

[GROAN]

MickLL

19. Hotblack

sorry

:D :D :D (Mutley type snigger) :D :D