1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film camera/digital camera - which do you use most often?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Apr 25, 2007.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I haven't got one! :)

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

3. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

YAY! Girlfight!

Graeme

4. Mr_Geoff

Mr_Geoff Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could lend him one Pam! :D

5. bagpuss

Gustav has more brassing, but is fitted with the lovely gridded focusing screen, ideal for those of us who like architectural photography.

Holst is in almost mint condition - but is a bit more grumpy...

6. Mr_Geoff

Mr_Geoff Well-Known Member

Grumpy? Do tell....

7. bagpuss

He makes a distinctly grumpy sound when in operation. Something about the tone of his voice...

8. Michael_C

Michael_C Well-Known Member

To get back on topic....

Film mostly, and then usually scan the best negs (occasionally slides). I use digital for quick turnaround.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Almost all digital. The last film but one that I used was a roll of Fujifilm Superia that your predecessor sent me after publishing a letter, and a very expensive film it was; I've just chucked the chemicals after processing only two films over a year ago. At least I know that my F100 and FMn2 were still working properly. I am kicking myself for not buying 3 films instead of 1 so I could have checked out the old F90 and Pentax Spotmatic. (The exposure meter of the latter still works; I recently bought a Wien cell to check) but I would expect that the shutter is running slow.
    I suspect that I have now gone totally digital. For some time I have been thinking of getting a D50 or D40 to supplement my D200 as a second body. Following Barney Britton's review of the D40x and the normally overpriced Jessie's undercutting of everyone else I have just bought a D40x. It looks and feels like a toy, but in image quality my initial impression is that it is right up with the D200. I would certainly rather carry it on the hills rather than the D200 which I carried round the Snowdon Horseshoe a couple of weeks ago.
    Tomorrow I'm off to Bunny woods for the crucial 'bluebell test' with both digital bodies, the F100 and a roll of Velvia 100. I write this here, after too much Chilean Merlot, just to make sure that I do it and learn how to publish images on a public website to show the results.
    I might be away from the forum for a day or two while I get things sorted out. I have been doing too much bovine scatology (that should circumvent the auto moderator) of late and not enough photography.

10. Towershot

Towershot Well-Known Member

I haven,t shot film in years,I,m not a very good photographer, so the waiting with baited breath till you shots to come back,and then the disappointment ,that most of them are ok, but not really gooduns.

I find digital much better,dump without paying for processing ,LOL.

But I now enjoy my photography more than ever,having got a good DSLR a few weeks ago.

But ,I think it would be a VERY good lesson for those new to pic taking, to use a film camera for a few weeks.
    It makes you "look for the shot" before blasting away like a lot of newbies do.

No disrespect intended,but the amount of times I,ve read strings,with people saying "oh, I shot 600 today,saved about 30".

You can do that with digital now of course,and power to the people,but a match of both worlds would,I think IMHO, turn out a better photographer.

But at the end of the day,if you aint a pro,the aim of the time spent shooting is to ENJOY yourself,
    and if that means shooting a few more pics than I ,More power to you,re arm guys.

11. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

IMAO I find that the biggest advantage to film is the image quality that can be archived in a very tiny camera. Also the abundance of cheap film cameras on eBay (Like the Original MJU) make them a great alternative to disposables when heading out to places where don't want to have valuable equipment, as they have things like Exposure, Aperture, FOCUS, and a proper lens!

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Maybe I use my film camera a little too often?

Was at a 40th party on Saturday night....had I known before hand there would be so much nudity I'd have taken the dSLR :eek: Maybe I should take those films to a lab that I won't need to use again... for a while at least :eek:

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have just cleaned out the fridge (an annual spring clean)and thrown away a load of outdated film along with ancient piccalli and lime pickle. I then thought that I should check the Pentax spotmatic, F100 and FMn2 ifrom the back of the cupboard in my bedroom in case there were rotting batteries; they weren't yet rotting but were past their use by date. Quite frankly this idea of using film where it is appropriate just doesn't work. Digital is just too convenient. My recent purchase of a D300 I suppose confirms my total transfer to digital. Is anyone else professing to use film and digital but hasn't actually used film for a year?

14. NorthernMonkey

NorthernMonkey Well-Known Member

I use film and digital, probably a 70:30 spilt, using more film than digital. I haven't been shooting as much this year as I was last year, but should hopefully change now the clocks have changed, probably shooting only about 15 - 20 rolls so far this year

15. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

I use film only, 35mm and 120. Not bothered with digital at the moment, don't think that I ever will be unless forced too.
    Regards
    Ray.

16. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

Cripes, just saw the date of the original post on this topic, no wonder I had to clear the cobwebs from reply button. :)
    Regards
    Ray