1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File formats for hard drive storage

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Bazarchie, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Having read the recent AP article on archiving and storage I probably need to reconsider my approach. Their advice is to convert raw files to DNGs and save both formats in case support for older raw formats is withdrawn from software and to save processed files in TIFF as it is lossless.

I do neither, does anyone already follow their advice?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No. The way modern software is written they just add functionality to it, not take away. I'm pretty sure that the OEM raw converters will open any generation of their raw files going. I suppose a real test would be to see if the independent software, of which the free Adobe DNG converter is a prime example, has yet dropped a format.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

One of the reasons that the first DSLR I purchased was a Pentax K10 was that if offered the choice of 'own brand' or DNG RAW format files. It was later replaced with a K5, which offers the same choice. I recently tried the latest version of Affinity Photo software on a 10 day free trial, and it opened my 12 year old DNG RAW files without any problems. And my 10 year old copy of Photoshop Elements 7 opens files from my K5 that was purchased later, so the claim that DNG RAW is a safe format for archive storage appears true.

I believe that Adobe lets camera manufacturers use its DNG RAW format without any fee, so do not understand why most manufacturers do not offer it as an option as Pentax do. In future, if a camera body does not offer DNG RAW format I would probably not consider buying it.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

For now. But only their 'promise' that it will remain free.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

There's no way of knowing whether a CR2 or NEF file will be readable for a longer or shorter time than a DNG. It's just a guess. I'm not aware of any RAW format being dropped by any software yet. I think it's maybe being a little too paranoid. Why promote Adobe's RAW format and then say use TIFF, why not PSD which is also lossless. If I do any processing of a file outside of Lightroom, I keep the PSD because I use Photoshop to do it.