1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fibre To The Property...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, May 16, 2018.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

... is coming to Milton Keynes, and there's much activity not far from me with purple coloured cables (I expect they're actually glass fibre) being laid along the footpaths. Despite the publicity on the websites, it's a very secret project with no notice given to the residents directly affected (and I missed the local TV if there was a mention), even though this involves diggers making a trench across driveways, into which the fibre is laid..

https://www.cityfibre.com/news/milton-keynes-ftth-announcement/

Big question - will I move away from my Mobile Broadband when it gets to me?

Catriona likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I could have sworn blind that cable was laid down our road years ago, but no-one has ever tried to sell us a connection. We have fibre to cabinet but it's half a mile to the cabinet so the mobile broadband I bought for travelling is actually a lot faster but has a data limit on it. The fibre hard wired will be very fast I should think, depends on how many people,are sharing the line at the same time.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I used to have Virgin which was fibre direct to the house with a speed of 200 mb/s. I wish I still had that. We moved more rural 2 years ago (2 miles from our old house), BT have just put in a new fibre cabinet for our area which is only about 1 km away. At best we get 14mb/s. I know what i'd rather have.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

My work moved to Milton Keynes in 1980, and I moved house in 1982. At that time the city was cabled with radio and TV (via Co-ax) and phone lines were via underground cable. There were covenants on our properties banning the use of external TV and radio aerials (unless a radioham), and for a period the Milton Keynes skyline was very clear of aerial clutter. At the time my hearing was good, and I could very definitely hear the background hiss on Radio 3 via the provided cable system, but which was absent via an external aerial pointing at the local TV tower about 8 miles to the south. So I installed a high gain aerial on the side of a ground floor gable (i.e. to stop it offending the skyline), and that provided me with good quality sound from Radio 3.
    The introduction of Satellite TV soon had dishes everywhere, and I think the covenants were no longer enforced. Despite all new homes and estates being cabled, the standard I believe was not good enough to attract any of the major Internet providers. In my own case, my house is fitted with an old type BT Master socket (plus bedroom extensions) in an inaccessible place (behind 100kg of audio gear), and the bedroom extensions stop the micro-filters working correctly - hence my use of Mobile broadband.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'd say it depends on how frustrated you get on the Internet - but I love it!! Got it when I moved house 2 years ago and it has been wonderful.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Diamond layed fibre to cabinet and used coax cable to houses. BT use twisted pair to houses. Also the BT wire runs are often much longer than Diamond's. Diamond infrastructure was bought by Virgin when Diamond went bust.
    This system is presently getting me about 75Mbps download and about 5Mbps upload.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Switched a year or so ago to Virgin with their 100 mb/s broadband service which in reality is anywhere between 40 and 80 mb/s depending on the equipment, how far it is from the router and the time of day. Our old BT line was giving us 6 or 7 mb/s at best. So no more buffering problems when watching iPlayer or Netflix on the television and the three of us can easily use the wifi at the same time without a hitch. No going back!

8. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I emailed Openreach about Fibre to the cabinet for our area as it was missed off an upgrade a few years before, to my surprise the CEO of Openreach replied back and within 6 months they'd upgraded 3 local cabinets and I now have 75mb down and 20mb up.

I tried Virgin but lasted 3 weeks as the service was worse than my 6mb adsl service - speedwise it always looked good, but the reality of streaming or youtube was too much for the over subscribed Virgin network to cope it. It might be better now, but I wasn't going to give them a second chance.

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

We have Virgin cable direct to the router which has wired and wireless connections. Pay for the 100 mb/s but it usually between 130-170 mb/s when tested wired to our computers but is about 80 mb/s when tested on wireless laptops. My wife and I don't have laptops but the wireless is useful for visitors.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The down graded Wifi connection is your very local issue. The only way to judge your internet speed to your property is to connect your computer directly to your modem by fast RJ45 (at least) wire link. Don't blame your supplier for your inadequate WiFi.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

That's how mine is connected and I'm pleased with the results. :)

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Why is fibre so late at Milton Keynes?

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Good question. Is there any sizeable place in the UK where fibre has been supplied to every domestic dwelling? If so, it would indicate that the publicity is lying, and I could then make the facts known.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm currently hanging on the edge of a mobile signal. The nearest cabinet is 2 miles away and the adsl connection wifi'd through a commercial reseller drops every 5 mins. Fibre!

15. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Virgin are installing cable currently in our area, apparently two years of work for the lads, most of whom appear to be from Europe. The cable only reaches the edge of the property, and I believe it is only connected into your house if you sign up with Virgin.

We have BT Infinity with fibre to the local box about 200 metres away, so get a decent connection for several devices simultaneously.

16. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Yes that's how the Virgin connection works, and if you decide to leave then they leave the connection in place. Our area was cabled over 20 years ago, it was Telewest in those days, which means many houses now have the connection whether they're signed up or not. BT Infinity is not as fast as Virgin but if it does the job and the price is right.....

17. Malcolm_Stewart

In my post #1, I referred to purple coloured cables suggesting that they were glass fibre. After work had ceased for the night, I was able to read the labels on the drums, and the labels said "Microduct". I've now read the Wiki entry and am more confused than ever..To lay the actual glass-fibre, do they blow from the consumer end or from the cabinet end?. I did note that there were 9 Microducts going into the ground in front of my friend's home., and there are 9 houses from this point to the end of the cul-de-sac.

Fascinating to come across a technology of which I know nearly nothing...and so close to home. (My 1962 engineering degree and 40 years experience is clearly out of date.)

18. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've got a home delivery from Tesco's due later today that includes a box of Bran Flakes...

Cheers, Jeff

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  19. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

BT are a real pain with fibre optic. We now have fibre to the local node, which means we could get a whopping 16 - 25Mb/s if we are lucky.
    We have been with VM for years because of this. We don't have fibre to door, but still get 50Mb/s down and 3 upstream, which is fine for us.

If BT would have spent the money they were given by the government properly over the last few years, VM would have some serious competition in broadband speeds.
    A friend works in the field, and the last time I saw him, a few years back, he was saying that the polishing of the fibre ends was expensive, so it is likely that BT don't like spending the money on the machines or time to link to each home.

Shooting themselves in the foot as usual

Edit.....splicing machines around £5k. Guess that is too much for such a poor company

http://www.fibrefox.co.uk/fusion-sp...licer-kit.html?search_query=cleaver&results=7

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    dream_police likes this.
  20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

That should improve your download speeds.

Learning, Fishboy and dream_police like this.