1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female Model Needing A Photographer!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by cloenna, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

That's not 'rude', you should try posting in The Lounge! :rolleyes:

Oh, incidentally, if you can't tolerate rude might I suggest, for your emotional wellbeing, you stay clear of the modelling industry. :cool: ;)

2. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

She has, how about a "link to the original post"?

G>

3. cloenna

cloenna Member

i no full well the modelling industy is about contrustive critisism, and sometimes you have to be harsh to be kind
    ...however it is not about someone picking out typing errors...everybody knows full well what i ment, and critising my mistakes is just petty... i think alot of people would feel the same if they had someone on their posts critising there every typing mistake!

4. cloenna

cloenna Member

oh and if anybody would like to check out my pictures, i have a few on my website, i do apologise they are all taken by me and are not very good but it gives u a vague idea of what i look like, they were all taken a little while back and i have lost quite a bit of weight since then...but im certainly not an 86 yr old toothless hag...

www.freewebs.com/portfoliopictures

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Perhaps... just perhaps... She was trying to help you.

Making a post full of mistakes and bad grammar might be an indication of how you would normally go about writing emails/letters to potential clients/agencies/photographers about work.

That would give a bad probably false, impression of you and not something you'd want.

You came here asking for a photographer to help you and in the first post you had several spelling mistakes, including amatuer (amateur) and portfollio (portfolio). That could give the impression that you don't really care if you don't bother to correctly spell the word of the thing you're actually after!

As with all things, in business as well as in personal life... A good first impression counts.

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

You never get a second chance to make a first impression ...

... except with alzheimer's :D

7. cloenna

cloenna Member

I know a first impression always sticks, and i should be a little more careful but i am dyslexic and am spending so much time and effort into starting my modelling career off i am knackered. Usually i would go over all the words on a spell check to make sure i havent made any mistakes, but i havent had the time to faff about with that...

Anyway i thought most photographers are ment to be quite laid back or is that me being slightly prejudice?

8. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

No, I'd wager that's a misconception on the part of whoever you got the idea from. I can't really see the likes of Mario Testino (or David Bailey, in his day) getting to their level in the industry by being 'laid back'.

To my mind, if you want the best you have to present your best, and the advice that's been on offer here (whether you like it or not) is in your best innerests and, in the main, sound advice for any work endeavour, not just the model industry - which is, as you know, extremely competitive and riddled with cowboys (who are, generally, laid back).

Anyhoo, I'm inclined to agree with Fen with regards to 'getting it right'. Professionals don't make excuses (no matter how valid) they just get it right.

Dyslexia, or not, when one is trying to make the right (first, second, (if you're lucky) third...) impression you need to make time to 'faff about' with that if you're serious about what you're trying to do (even at this level) - I suspect a poorly written & constructed covering letter to an agency would join the other 99.9% of all such letters in the bin, there are no 'valid excuses', rightly or wrongly you will be judged on that initial contact, and you have to make an impact, the right impact (and that may well be before they even see what you look like).

You may think we're being harsh, but as I said, this is nothing compared to the real world. Just sayin'.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

OK, I wish you every success in your chosen career but I am not in a position to help with photographs.

I can however help with the spell check. If you download Firefox it has the ability to spell check your posts. You simply need to download the appropriate, British English, dictionary.

Most people on here are trying to be constructive, it may not seem that way but I suggest most of us want you to succeed so please just stick with it and we will do what we can. Don't be put off by the comments, take them the way they are meant, as encouragement to sell yourself in the best way you can.

10. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Or just have 'Word' or other WP running in a separate window and CRTL C, CTRL V into it for a spell checker. I do.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Rather more cumbersome than Firefox though and does rather depend on your wanting to use it. Mine is full time.

12. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

If you're using Internet Explorer, Google for 'iespell' - free and good.

13. ham888

ham888 Well-Known Member

Come on chaps, give the girl a break, shes not applying for a place here reading English at Cambridge, she just wants a little help.

Chloe, you should have a PM, and NO I havn't offered to take some pics of her!

Good luck.

14. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Here here and I'll say it but Bettina was absolutely rude no question about it. :( :(

15. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

This website looks useful particularly this advice

16. cloenna

cloenna Member

I know this is probably not something to voice to you, because you will no doubt tear apart my every word but here it goes....
    Photography is about art and appreciating the beauty of the planet we live on....surely if you are not slightly laid back you loose the meaning of photography and make it loose its spark? (not only that but you make the model feel exremely uncomfortable not allowing him/her to work to their best standards)
    Mario Testino and David Bailey got to where they were by yes, working extremely hard, but they also had to take a large step back and look at the world not through the poisoned eyes of money and greed but through those of a mind of clairty....
    If more photographers remembered why they came into the industry they would maybe produce better photos, with more meaning and soul....

I agree a poorly written cover letter to an agency wouldnt get me very far, but i was mearly writing a post on forum lol not really a biggy is it...
    Everyone has being extremly helpful and i can handle constructive critisim but bettina wasnt being helpful at all. She just sat there critising my grammer, i didnt come here to be marked on my grammer, i came here to gain some knoledge and advice on photographers.... :D

17. cloenna

cloenna Member

thanks a very helpful site :)

18. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Now, if there ever was an example of why it is important to spend the time and proof you writing if you ever want to be taken seriously I think this is it. Classic. :D

19. cloenna

cloenna Member

your wording is not very good either and now you made yourself look like the idiot... :)
    Any good photographer knows photography is about art and the beauty of the world and certainly not about stuck up know it alls correcting my english...just get a life and stop critising my typing errors....

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I made myself look like an idiot a long long time ago, but it's never stopped me since. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.