1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fees for Calanders

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by mtownsend, Mar 26, 2001.

1. mtownsend

mtownsend New Member

Hi,
    We are putting together, what we think, is a fresh and innovative idea for a calander. What should we expect to gain financialy for the idea and pictures over and above the initial fee, which appears to be around £75.00 per picture.
    In other words what kind of royalties on an ongoing basis should we be looking for?
    Thanks Mark and Jamie

2. Joël Lacey

Joël Lacey Member

When you say innovative idea for a calendar, do you mean for a one-off calendar, or a series of calendars or even a new type of calendar.
    1) Depending on which it is, there my be an argument for trying to trademark the idea. Costs are involved, but depending on the level of gain you are looking at in the future, it may be worth it.
    2) If you are not self-publishing (as it seems you are not), what rights have been asked for by the publisher? Which territories are you ceding rights in. Have you asserted your moral rights?
    All these factors ake a big differenc to what you can expect to earn from something. But whatever the situation is, always let the other party suggest a price first. You don;t have to say yes, and they can;t go ahead wthout you (unless they source the pictures from someone else and just steal your idea) in which case it's a good idea to have any and all correspondence in writing so you can take them to the cleaners afterwards.
    Let me know soe of the details, and I'll try andcome up with a good basepoint for negotiations.

Joel Lacey
    Help Team Editor

3. mtownsend

mtownsend New Member

Dear Joel,

Thank you very much for bringing our attention to these points, reading our
    original message again we can certainly see that the content is somewhat
    ambiguous.

We have taken on board the points that you have made and are endeavouring to
    put together a more lucid description of what we are trying to achieve with
    our ideas. We will come back to you as soon as we have done so.

Again, thank you so much for pointing us in the right direction.

Mark and Jamie