1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite kit bought this year

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Nigel_Atherton, Nov 8, 2019.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

LCE has a Fuji promotion this week. Double cashback. In store only. XH-1 going for very low price. I want a 16-80 but it isn't yet discounted.

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I traded in my XPro1 against the XT 2 which is unusual for me as I rarely depart from any kit. The XPro 1 produced some great results but the XT 2 has a better viewfinder and for me better pictures. If I want to go under the radar, the Fuji is far more discrete than a DSLR. Your Hasselbad must attract an audience, even admiring or jealous photographers.

3. Bazarchie

Fuji do seem to discount very heavily when a model is updated.

4. PeteRob

Yes but this is just because folk haven't taken to this model, launched as premium at nearly £1,900 now £900 (with grip and 2 extra batteries). I thought I did great at getting a mint s/h at £1,299. It is a very good camera, handles almost like my Canons.

Bazarchie likes this.
  5. Bazarchie

I am not sure why, on paper it is a great camera with ibis. The Fuji XT 2 was reduced by a similar % also with a grip.

6. PeteRob

The only problem with IBIS is that you can start to believe 1/10s is perfectly fine and normal for hand-holding!

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Too true, but it is outweighed by stabilizing all lenses that report their focal length like my 30+ year old 'beer can', for instance. Other lenses are available - hundreds of them, in fact! :p

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that 1/10 isn't suitable for hand holding?

Obviously that depends on the hands doing the holding but I have some recent images shot at 1/8 that are fine, no stabilisation, I also have some that are far from fine. A good stance and technique are required but 1/10 is possible even if faster is better.

9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, no it doesn't. I've walked around the streets of Manchester using it and nobody gave it a second glance - I reckon it's just too big for people to take seriously. Once, in the centre of Rochdale, I was followed by some miscreants who obviously had designs on my Fuji X-T1, yet I've walked the same streets populated with the same ne'er-do-wells with the Hasselblad and nobody has batted an eyelid.

Cheers, Jeff

Bazarchie likes this.
  10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

My favourite purchase this year is just a week old - a Sony Alpha 'A' mount 28-75mm f:2,8 SAM. I have two complete sets of gear, the 'light and acceptable' kit, and the 'heavier and better' kit. On the light kit body I have been using the Konica Minolta 28-75mm f:2,8, as opposed to the 24-70mm f:2.8 in the other bag, but it started reporting a focal length of 50mm in the EXIF data whatever focal length was used, which would upset the in-body stabilization. I decided to replace it with the Sony SAM equivalent.

The SAM version is reviewed as the same basic lens as not only the KM version, but also the Tamron lens of the same specification. However, with my old KM lens the corners are definitely soft wide open, and only recover at around f:5.6, or even f:8 at full zoom. With the Sony, the corners are significantly improved, which is surprising if the optical design is the same. f:4 is now usable throughout the range.

Coupled with a larger and deeper lens-hood, SAM focusing, a zoom lock and an AF/MF switch on the body, the Sony is a significant advance on the KM version, and when coupled with the improved optical performance, whether due to design improvements or tighter quality control, it is definitely my favourite buy of the year - particularly as I haven't bought very much else! :D

Sony v KM.jpg

Sony v KM extended.jpg

The family resemblance is very clear to see.

PS. I bought some more bags, of course, but everybody buys more bags all the time, in the search for the perfect one! :D

11. PeteRob

I don't have very steady hands and 1/f is my normal guideline, though I can hold an unstabilised 400 at 1/250 if I'm very careful and a stabilised 500 F4 at 1/60 if I'm quick about it, but that does have very good IS.